Worst production jobs thread.

Erik said:
Haha it's so awesome. I usually say it sounds like someone miked up the actual strings of an electric guitar and fed that through a shitty training amp

It's not actually that bad though. Also, I totally fail how you can have an album containing FUCKING THURISAZ, POSSIBLY GRAVELAND'S BEST SONG EVER! as your least favourite, but hey, whatevar
The guitar tone absolutely kills that CD. There is hardly any distortion on the guitar. Even early 70s metal guitar had more distortion than it. Maybe I will take a listen to it again to see if it finally clicks, but the guitar tone has really put me off so far.

Life Sucks said:
The guitar tone absolutely kills that CD. There is hardly any distortion on the guitar. Even early 70s metal guitar had more distortion than it. Maybe I will take a listen to it again to see if it finally clicks, but the guitar tone has really put me off so far.

I actually liked the guitar tone a lot for that very reason. :p

The Greys said:
What album production jobs are annoying and just plain unlistenable to your ears.

For me:
Decapitated-Nihility,The Negation
Bathory-Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
Krisiun-Ageless Venomous,etc..

I'm sure I am forgetting some.

I dont get why you think the production is that bad on The Negation.

Erik said:
The band wasn't satisfied either, so there actually exists TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS of this album -- not re-mixed or re-mastered, but actually RE-RECORDED. The European SPV/Steamhammer LP has a wholly different recording than the more common American version (which is what is on today's re-release CD's) -- I have both and can say that the Euro version definitely sounds better. Not mind-blowingly different WHOA THIS IS LIKE A DIFFERENT ALBUM!, but better.

I'm pretty sure I have the Euro SPV version as I bought the "2 Originals Of Sodom" box set which has In The Sign Of Evil & Obsessed By Cruelty on the first disc and the second disc is Persecution Mania

MURAI said:
I dont get why you think the production is that bad on The Negation.

I explained on the first page.

"The production jobs on these cds have the typewriter and cheap plastic sound to them. The music the band produces is very contrived also. The production and music is not genuine to me."

In Flames - Colony.... DAMN those drums sound like ass.

Bathory - all... Bathory's music rules so much that they made bad production work for them... RIP Quorthon... I love you like a brother, man.

Cruachan- Tuatha Na Gael ......Holy crap

I don't find the production on Bathory's albums to be bad. Especially the black metal albums; they were recorded a long time ago, so of course the production isn't going to sound perfect and modern. Besides, it is black metal, so if the production were too nice it would take away from the music. Necro production fits with most black metal.

The only qualms I've had with the Bathory albums are that occasionally the solos sound distant and it affects one's ability to distinguish it to a minor degree. Otherwise, actually some of my favorite production jobs.

The fact that Bathory's black metal albums were recorded such a long tie ago makes the production forgiveable. Same thing with Destruction's Eternal Devastation. I bought Eternal Devastation/Mad Butcher about a year ago, but the thin guitar sound diminished the cool riffs. It was collecting dust for a few months, then I pulled it out again and realized how cool the riffs were, and was able to look past the production. Now it is one of my favorite thrash albums.

Life Sucks said:
The fact that Bathory's black metal albums were recorded such a long tie ago makes the production forgiveable. Same thing with Destruction's Eternal Devastation. I bought Eternal Devastation/Mad Butcher about a year ago, but the thin guitar sound diminished the cool riffs. It was collecting dust for a few months, then I pulled it out again and realized how cool the riffs were, and was able to look past the production. Now it is one of my favorite thrash albums.

And hearing those songs live (the DVD is worth getting, definitely) makes it even more awesome.