krk monitors

dankarghh

Nov 26, 2009
Australia
i know theres tonnes of threads around, i've scoped them all out (so don't be mad). what do you guys think about the krk rokit 5 2nd gens? better than the originals? what if i could snag the 6 inch's (first gen) for 100 dollars cheaper? theres some good deals on ebay (in AUS) going on a pair at the moment!

cheers guys

I honestly can't stand most krk monitors I've heard... They remind me of the complaints people make about the presonus firebox but in monitor form. Boxy with exagerated high mids... Lies lies lies is what krk monitors do to your mix haha!

Sorry. Just throwing in my experience

tannoys are OK. but the KRKs sound nice. i agree with drew drummer. 6" at least and the first gen ones...they are punchy

I like the sound of the KRKs, but the tannoy reveal 5as are so much more revealing and critical. Much better transient response in particular. The KRKs sound punchy, good monitors sound like the signal coming into them.

I owned the 2nd gen Rokit 5's a couple years ago when they first came out. I was using them to take to friends house's to track demos (since they're smaller and alot more portable than my HR824s). They're not bad for the money, but honestly like Drew said..go for the 6's. If not, then at least get the sub for it.Because its alittle hard trying to get accurate low end on them. Because you have to really crank them to start hearing the low end of things...but when you crank it that loud room acoustics start to play in effect. And that leads to what Melb_Shredder said...lies to your mix. Hope this helps.

I'm saving for the RP8's myself, probably too big seeing as I mix in a tiny room, but I listen to music off iTunes more than I mix and I can cross reference with Genelecs at my uni too

I have the krk's RP8 and they rock, you can hear a lot of detail and they also have a lot of low frequency response, the best value for money IMHO

I had the first gen RP6's and they had great low end but they seemed more like hi-fi speakers than studio monitors. They were also fatiguing, the high end was a bit hyped and shrill.

I now use KRK 6000's and they are much smoother, but the bottom end doesn't go nearly as low (I think they are flat down to 65 hz).