New Monitors...Which should I get?

IanBTS

Mar 27, 2009
I'm looking into upgrading my monitors sometime this summer...

And I've narrowed it down to KRK Rokit Powered 8's (2nd Generation), and M-Audio BX8A's.

Anyone have any experience with the two? Review wise (musiciansfriend.com, etc...) I'm leaning a bit towards the KRK's at the moment. Any thoughts?

I've heard the Rokit Gen 2's are a serious step up from the originals, I think that'd be my vote!

I just got M-Audio BX8A's today and they are way better than I had expected *considering it's an M-Audio product*
I had wanted to get those Yamaha HS80M's after one of my BX5A tweeters died on me, but was broke.

Edit: Take note that the M-Audio technical support people are stoned 24/7.

So I've got the option to basically record two songs for a band and instead of paying me they said they would give me a pair of bx5a's
Good deal?????
I'm currently mixing on iPod headphones:/
and was planning on saving up for the yamaha hs80ms, and I'm pretty sure I'm still going to
but I'm not sure I could pass this up for now
hahaha
What do you guys think?

P.S. I normally charge $100 per song so basically I'm getting the monitors for $200

hahaha
Cause my recordings don't sound like they're mixed on iPod headphones
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=915244&songID=7540515

Monitors are not required to mix
although they are extreeeeemely helpful
If you know your speakers (for example my iPod headphones)
then for the most part you can translate a mix from those headphones to the outside world
Now I'm sure once I get monitors I'll start hearing things I couldn't before and it'll be easier for me to find troubling frequencies and such
but
It's not impossible to get a decent mix on a source that isn't monitors:)

hahaha
Cause my recordings don't sound like they're mixed on iPod headphones
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=915244&songID=7540515

Monitors are not required to mix
although they are extreeeeemely helpful
If you know your speakers (for example my iPod headphones)
then for the most part you can translate a mix from those headphones to the outside world
Now I'm sure once I get monitors I'll start hearing things I couldn't before and it'll be easier for me to find troubling frequencies and such
but
It's not impossible to get a decent mix on a source that isn't monitors:)

That's one of the most monsterous mixes I've heard in a while actually. Thats one hell of a low end. If I was a client, I'd pay the money for that, despite the fact that it was mixed on ipod headphones. Actually I've discovered that if you can even get stuff sounding remotely nice on Ipod headphones then its usually a win.

OT: I cant say anything for the BX8a's, but the KRK's G2's are really nice (I have the 5) speakers - fairly transparent, easy to listen to stuff on as well, not fatiguing - I've done a few long mixing sessions with them now and nice stereo imaging. Worth the money if you have it.

Ive been wondering about upgrading recently from my ESI nEar 05 monitors. Not sure if there will be any bonus in doing so though really, so perhaps not as this is only a little project studio atm (and still far too powerful for the room I should say). I wonder if upgrading from a $200 pair to a $500 pair would really yield any decent results.

another vote for the yammys. I fucking love mine. I compared them too the bx8a and rokits, and they were the clear winner. I never got the "blanket over the speaker" analogy until I compared these monitors.

I got Samson Rubicon R5a's about a week ago, and so far I love them. There's enough bass for my uses, and the highs are fucking sweet. I turned the tweeter up a notch because the sound was even a little bass heavy, most likely because of the room I work in. Haven't really worked on anything with them yet, can't wait to mix my band's demo.

That seems perhaps a bit excessive? It's one thing to like what you have for the price, but come on now...

Not necessarily. Even the 8020's are more expensive than the Yamahas, and alone they just don't cut it. The 8030's are getting there with a 1000e price tag, but still I wouldn't choose them to be my only pair of monitors. As a matter of fact, it would have to be a choice between the 8040's and the HS80M's before I'd be completely sold. Not dissing Genelecs here, they're absolutely great monitors, but when going without a sub, you really got to look at the more expensive models.

Not necessarily. Even the 8020's are more expensive than the Yamahas, and alone they just don't cut it. The 8030's are getting there with a 1000e price tag, but still I wouldn't choose them to be my only pair of monitors. As a matter of fact, it would have to be a choice between the 8040's and the HS80M's before I'd be completely sold. Not dissing Genelecs here, they're absolutely great monitors, but when going without a sub, you really got to look at the more expensive models.

Yeah, true enough, I seriously can't wrap my head around the 8020s now being $1k/pair (and 8030s $1.5k) here! :rolleyes: