Kyrbgrinder

LavagesOfTime said:
cant say if you enjoyed most kyrbgrinder or the beer! :D

anyway, glad to read the report! Next time, try to convince johanne to sing with threshold, too! :p

:lol: Well after listening to the demo several times yesterday (and again today), I can confirm that I enjoyed both. :p Fave songs so far are Defiance, The Guide (the closest the band are to King's X), What About Me, Fall Away, Not In My Name and the thrashy I Wanna Kill. :headbang: What About Me and Way Side are the more melodic songs on the demo.

I don't know why he doesn't sing any backing vocals for Threshold. Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable or that his vocals are not suitable for the band. Definitely a worthy singer though.

He says he's voice is too "black" and deep for the *celestial* choirs, but I think his voice could be useful for, say, The Art Of Reason ("I dont believe that is... right") or Voyager II (the final "ooooooooh")...

Thanks for your report progmetalgod! Couldn't make it to Porth in the end, although it would have been cool to meet up again.
After hearing that they only played for some half hour, I'm not soooo sad any more for having missed it.
Anyway, I might catch them Thursday night in Milton Keynes instead, hopefully with at least a 45 mins set. :D

Weehee, I finally made it to a Kyrbgrinder gig last Thursday in Milton Keynes (no, hang on, sorry, Stony Stratford, as was repeadedly put straight by some people). Well, let me say… the gig was FANTASTIC, but at the same time downright ODD.
It was held in a pub, I think the placing of this show was a bit of a misunderstanding in terms of “venue”, as Kyrbgrinder are definitely NOT what you would expect to hear in a pub here in the UK, where the scene is largely dominated by crappy cover acts playing your usual sort of boring hits that everyone knows and every pisshead can sing along to.
It kind of reminded me a bit of one most bizarre night back in 1995 when I went to see Vanden Plas play in a nightclub, with me being the only metal head present......

So the pub fills with your normal Friday/Saturday night crowd, the locals and regulars, and within 5 minutes of Kyrbgrinder acoustically setting the place on fire, the front part of the pub where they are playing …. empties. Apart from my friend, some members of the crew and myself, who are all having a jolly good time, everyone just leaves!

It does not happen every day that I can watch Johanne within arm's length, hitting his drums like an absolute power & precision machine and singing at the same time, for normally he is well hidden at the back of a (large!) stage, with only his eyes and white teeth lighting up occasionally in the dark. :)
But like this, it is such a *feast* for both eyes and ears, and much better than any front row spot.
They are a truly awesome band, and despite the obvious lack of interest, they are giving their best, play as if for a large crowd with Johanne posing and joking, swirling his sticks in the air and pulling face. There just goes to show what a truly *professional* band they are, eh.

Pity that none of the people there seemed to be *remotely* interested, mildly curious, or at least that they even noticed what an unusual, highly talented bunch of musicians they had the honour to witness. ....Or not, as it turned out to be the case.

Their loss, no doubt, and another proof somehow that members of the “average human population” just don’t seem to have an ear for quality music any more. Many even walked past on their way to the loo holding their ears shut….!
Tut, tut....

But like I said, it didn’t stop me from having a fantastic time, and I still preferred this show, two 40 minute sets, to only some half hour the other night. Only shame that they had to "throw pearls to the pigs", as some German saying goes.

They will play Bloodstock festival this year, so if you have the chance to hear them there (or anywhere else near you) DON'T MISS OUT ON IT !!!!!!

Brilliant. Thanks for the review and I'm glad you thoroughly enjoyed the gig. I can't wait until the next time they play around these parts although I would have no hesitation in travelling further a field to catch them play. :)

Well then, come to Rotherham on 8th July where Kyrbgrinder will support Jadis..... of all bands !!!!

Heaven knows what the Classic Rock Society (the organisers of that gig) thought - or more like NOT thought - when they put those two acts together on the same bill.... they are like chalk and cheese, or more like, spice and sugar in terms of musical style.

I quite like both bands (with a strong preference to Kyrbgrinder, for sure) but I very much doubt that most other people will!
So please join the crowd and make sure Kyrbgrinder will not be boooed off the stage by the Jadis fans for whom they certainly will be way too heavy.

One way or another, it's going to be a most *interesting* night.
So, who else will be there?

Madrigal, I've been up to Rotherham twice (Threshold and Stream of Passion) and found it a nice place and easy to get to even though it's a 4 hour journey for us. I'll certainly consider the trek in July. :) Are Jadis neo prog or something?

I really like Jadis actually. But I'm less of a metalhead than some of you guys, I think! Neo-prog is as good a description as any. Fairly guitar driven, lots of synths, occasionally Floyd-esque. (I'm rubbish at describing music)

A very odd bill, but I wouldn't say no...

Old topic, but indeed worthy of breathing new life into :)

I personally haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of their album yet (mostly due to lack of funds when the opportunity was there :( ), but I've been listening to the myspace a lot :) Love it!