Labyrinth Recommendations?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Labyrinth is a band whose music I've always quickly glossed over. Given the great number of passionate fans they have on this board, perhaps I should give them a serious listen. So I'm wondering, which disc is generally considered their finest? Thanks.

Zod

Labyrinth is a band whose music I've always quickly glossed over. Given the great number of passionate fans they have on this board, perhaps I should give them a serious listen. So I'm wondering, which disc is generally considered their finest? Thanks.

Zod

I would start with the 2 that booB mentioned. Freeman and the newest one are not as good IMO. I do like freeman but it is not as strong as the Return to Heaven Denied or Sons of Thunder. I bought the new one and am having a hard time getting into it.

Return To Heaven Denied wins it hands down for me Zod. It's very atmospheric, speedy, and melodic. It's a great balance of elements all the way around in my opinion. It's one of the best disc within it's genre to say the least.

~Brian~

Return to Heaven Denied. Judging by your exacting standards, I don't think you'll like any of the other albums.

But that one is a classic and it's a mystery to me why they never even came close to making anything that good again.

What do people here think of 6 Days to Nowhere? Personally, I've heard it once, and I think it has a few points of brilliance, surrounded by a bunch of lame filler that sounds like prog-rock-lite. Not their best effort, but I'd still like to see them play here. Their old sound is pretty much nowhere to be heard on the new disc.

That said... "Lost" is quite possibly the best Labyrinth song ever.

What do people here think of 6 Days to Nowhere? Personally, I've heard it once, and I think it has a few points of brilliance, surrounded by a bunch of lame filler that sounds like prog-rock-lite. Not their best effort, but I'd still like to see them play here. Their old sound is pretty much nowhere to be heard on the new disc.

That said... "Lost" is quite possibly the best Labyrinth song ever.

I've not heard it myself yet, but all I've heard other people say is negative about it. Glenn is an exception, because I think he digs it judging from a thread he posted a few months back. Regardless, it's on my "to buy" list at some point this year.

~Brian~

Glenn rarely steers us wrong when it comes to recommending albums, but 6 Days to Nowhere is awful. I can see his point about the production being a little "warmer" a la RTHD, but creatively they are just continuing to slide downhill.