Laethora

plintus

Señor Member
Mar 5, 2004
Since there was no thread dedicated to the band involving the Almighty Sundin, and release date was set for the record - here we go, starting with the news from Blabbermouth:

The End Records has set a February 20, 2007 U.S. release date for the debut album from Sweden's LAETHORA, titled "March of the Parasite".

The CD, which features guitarist Niklas Sundin from DARK TRANQUILLITY and members of THE PROVENANCE (Joakim Rosen, bassist Jonnie Tall and drummer Joel Lindell), is firmly rooted in the death/grind tradition, yet challenging and innovative. In a recent interview with MTV.com, Sundin described the album as "extreme and in-your-face, but organic rather than clinical-sounding."

LAETHORA is currently finalizing a deal for the European territory. "In addition, we're hard at work writing songs for the follow-up to 'March of the Parasite' as well as planning for the first couple of live shows," says Sundin.

The LAETHORA song "Black Void Remembrance" is available for streaming at the The End Records MySpace page.

For more information, visit LAETHORA - March of the parasite.

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - LAETHORA: Release Date Set For Debut Album

If I remember rightly the mighty Sundin himself started a thread about laethora not long ago... but yeah, amazing band... Didn't really think it'd be the average DT fan's kind of thing (as sundin says, it's organic... sounds like really savage valve amps rather than the processed guitars of the late DT albums). I been looking forward to the release for ages. they've just taken their time with it.

If I remember rightly the mighty Sundin himself started a thread about laethora not long ago... but yeah, amazing band... Didn't really think it'd be the average DT fan's kind of thing (as sundin says, it's organic... sounds like really savage valve amps rather than the processed guitars of the late DT albums). I been looking forward to the release for ages. they've just taken their time with it.

I didn't find it (under "Laethora")... but now I remember, actually, I think it was under "side-project" title. If rahvin can merge the threads... :saint:

I really loved the single when it came out awhile back. I can't wait for the finished product.

I'm listening to "Black Void Remembrance" right now and strange as it might be... it sounds good, actually. o_O Which is quite surprising, considering that I'm closer to the "average DT fan" group KC mentioned and that I couldn't really get into the earlier Laethora compilation-sampler. Having now heard the whole song, I find it clearly above average. Which is not much compared to most DT-songs, but still quite positive.

Actually, the difference in styles between DT and Laethora makes comparison rather impossible - which is certainly a good thing. I wouldn't want to feel like Niklas is wasting his talents on some lesser DT-copy. Instead, Laethora seems like an outlet for some of the stuff he comes up but which doesn't fit the style of DT.

-Villain

Actually, the difference in styles between DT and Laethora makes comparison rather impossible - which is certainly a good thing. I wouldn't want to feel like Niklas is wasting his talents on some lesser DT-copy. Instead, Laethora seems like an outlet for some of the stuff he comes up but which doesn't fit the style of DT.

-Villain

Yeah, I'd wager not one riff from 'March of the Parasite' would fit with any of DT's compositions. It's just very different aesthetically. Fairly atonal and organic with mastodonish sort of twists but still this clashy, clinky industrial edge. To me Dark Tranquillity isn't about grit and grime (which laethora appears to approach), it's more grandiose, epic and romantic.

Both bands are great and original and to be honest I'm fairly impressed Nik has the tastes to lend himself to something so brutal and something so beautiful with equal measure and innovation.

From Blabbermouth:
The cover artwork for LAETHORA's debut album for The End Records, titled "March of the Parasite" (due out February 20, 2007), has been posted online at this location. The album cover and the artwork for the entire album was created by LAETHORA guitarist Niklas Sundin (DARK TRANQUILLITY).

The Swedish band, which also features THE PROVENANCE members Joakim Rosen (guitar), Jonnie Tall (bass) and Joel Lindell (drums), have also revealed the tracklisting for the CD. It is as follows:

01. Parasite
02. Clothing for the Dead
03. Revolution at Hand
04. Imposters
05. Black Void Remembrance
06. Repulsive
07. The Scum of Us All
08. Y.M.B.
09. Warbitrary
10. Facing Earth

The sound of LAETHORA is firmly rooted in the death/grind tradition, yet challenging and innovative. In a recent interview with MTV.com about the debut, Sundin described the album as "extreme and in-your-face, but organic rather than clinical-sounding."

The song "Black Void Remembrance" off the forthcoming album is now available for streaming at the official The End Records MySpace page.

Have the Laethora CD, great stuff, my fav. disc of 2007 so far
I mean this as the highest complement, sort of reminds me of Lamb of God
The intro to this CD has a quote from Werner Herzog which I
used on this very forum over a year ago, don't know what that means
but is kind of neat that we are into the same movies

here's a review from Revolver
L.jpg

"the sheer thunderousness of DT" ... like that -

My PocketPC kindly reminded me yesterday of the release, too bad I won't get to the store in the meantime (I get all me releases from the store around teh corner, which, in it's turn, kindly takes requests for most bizzare requests of mine).

I still miss the reason behind this post of mine...

Has anyone in Europe gotten the order yet? I'm a little bit impatient.
I think I don't like Revolver. That Al(l)ison Stewart forgot the l in Tranquillity

I think I don't like Revolver. That Al(l)ison Stewart forgot the l in Tranquillity

I didnt. But I know it was shipped on Feb 17, so its just a question of time. Im really looking forward to it, to say the least.

yea this a great album..i'll have to say, this is better than 'fiction' even though laethora and dt are very different from each other...its not really ur typical death metal/grind...there's a little elements of doom which makes it quite interesting..good to know niklas still has the brutal edge what with the generic songwriting in dt lately

Revolver f'ing sucks. Terrorizer > Revolver, and I don't even live in the UK. Crap like Metal Hammer/Revolver/Rolling Stone have no clue about anything going on. I want to get the cd, but haven't been able to find it at any of my local stores.... : (

My copy came. I like it alot. The t-shirt is fucking ace as is the artwork in general. By the standard of modern deathmetal, it's rather simplistic in a technical sense, but there's definately a vision behind this, so conceptually and musically it's quite supreme. Hard heavy grooves, and to be honest it feels really really grim too... hard to put my finger on it, but it's like, really really pissed off to the point of being morose... a cross between Through silver in Blood era Neurosis, Nihility era Decapitated and Codex Necro era Anaal Nathrakh sums it up from my perspective.

It's definately a great effort, and it should make a few top tens this year. I sure hope it does.