Lamb Of God kick secret revealed

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
For all this time I couldn't get what makes LOG kick drum so special, but thankfully to URM Academy Nail the Mix I have the ability to dissect song "Redneck".

As Machine said:
There is no real kick drum ever recorded on this and believe me, that was not short of trying. At the time I was very envious of how the band “Meshuggah” had their own signature kick sound. The kick drum is so important in LOG, so I wanted very bad for us to have our own signature sound as well. We must have tried dozens of ways to get it from a kick drum itself, like duck taping metal plates and other materials to the drum. It was all a fail, so in the end I put a couple of samples together that I thought did the trick. To this day over a decade later, I still think of ways we could have pulled it off from the drum itself.

I'm not going to give any samples because they are not mine to give, but I can break down it for you.

It consists of 2 layers - base layer has 3 samples single hit and for fast hits alternating samples for each foot.
I've spent countless experiments to come up with what made LOG signature kick top-end and now I know - a freaking TYPEWRITER sample (same sample alternating pitch slightly for each foot).

EDIT: I don't know why it's in root page because it was supposed to be in F.O.H. so if admins could move there it would be great.

Last edited:
@TRUIE Basically yeah, kick samples themselves weren't special in any way, just all around solid kick samples.
Got to try that typewriter vst. LoG typewriter sample doesn't have peaky click, more like flat-ish.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRUIE
Yeah i heard it in the podcast , cool way to have a unique sound. Dude just wanted something different and went literally for a typewriter sample haha. You can blend a lof of stuff on kick drums to create unique sounding stuff. I downloaded a couple of those rap/hiphop sample packs and there are a few sounds that works wonders to add ring , attack, low end to snares and kicks and they are not kick and snare samples by themselves , just random percusion and FX stuff.

Reactions: nezvers
I think the most important part of Machine's tricks on the LOG kick is the way he slightly pitches and pans (!!!) the double kick parts to allow guitars and other stereo instruments to shine through. Fantastic Nail the Mix !

What about panning the kicks ? Not sure if i heard about that while i was watching the video.
He is panning the continuous double kick parts (8th,16ths etc) slightly left and right (like 10 Right and 13 Left or something like this) and detunes them slightly (like 2-3 cents) to mimic how stereo is working overall (on stereo systems each speaker is reproducing sound slightly different than the other one). This results on speakers working more like they are supposed to (reproducing slightly different kicks on each speaker) rather than playing continuous mono parts (those are the continuous double kicks) while also trying to reproduce the stereo parts (guitars, synths etc) at the same time. So, all the stereo elements shine through a lot more than having all the kicks in the double kick parts centered. Hope that was more enlightening....