metal kick drum samples

madmuso

musician
May 5, 2006
Melbourne, Australia.
www.eyefear.com
Hi,

wondering what peoples preferences are (including Andy) when it comes to
choosing kick drum samples for metal. Any favourites? I use Kontakt and it has some great kick sounds but was wondering what else is doing well.

Thanks,

madmuso

I generally like to use the kick that belongs to the drummer that i'm worknig with. If it comes out bad, or I'm working on a personal project with MIDI i'll just go with Andy's kick sample.

Like Nebulous says, make your own sample from the drumset! Use more microphones and positions and blend them until you get a sound you like. It will fit better with the rest of the drums and the room than just taking a processed sample from a sample archive.

When not recording my own samples, I use DFH Superior kicks.

Always try to make your own. It will benefit you in the long run.

Andy's kick drum preferences are ones he makes himself.

If I can't get a kick sound I want from the kit at hand, I usually start blending, most of the time starting with the Vinnie Paul kick. That's a fantastic one to blend on account of the high-end articulation it gives.

Nebulous said:
Oh yeah, btw, I'm looking forward to seeing Eyefear at Screamers man. Should finally do justice to Micks' effort, venue wise.

True, it sucks when someone busts their ass but can only do so much because of the restrictions/circumstances surrounding them. Should be a good night though. Cya there man!