Lamb of God/Killswitch Engage/Testament

nafnikufesin

N.F.F.
Dec 6, 2001
In a Zone
amandababypics.tripod.com
Anyone else going to see this line-up? I got the VIP package that includes photos and autographs with Testament. :headbang:

Only thing I'd change is have Testament co-headlining with LoG. Never seen LoG, so I'm stoked to see them, but don't care much for Killswitch, I'd rather see them opening for Testament instead.

I'm going to the show in Montreal. Hopefully Testament will get at least a 40 minute set as direct support. That's probably good enough for 8 or 9 songs. Very difficult to select a few songs from a discography that includes 10 albums. What setlist would you like to hear on this tour? Who knows maybe the guys in Testament will listen and it could give them ideas. This is a high visibility tour for Testament so I'd go with a punishing brutal set leaving the crowd startled and wanting more. Let's face it, some of these Killswitch metalcore fans probably have never seen Testament live before. This is what I'm hoping for:

1. Eerie Inhabitants
2. Rise Up
3. Native Blood
4. True American Hate
5. Into The Pit
6. Over The Wall
7. Burnt Offerings
8. DNR
9. Formation of Damnation

Destroy the fucking venue! Teach these metalcore fans what a thrash band is.

That is one kick ass song that is grossly underplayed. With Gene Hoglan in the fold I'm not sure why they don't play one song live from Demonic. My favorite song on that album is "The Burning Times". Another favorite off the Low album is "Legions in Hiding" (they never play it for whatever reason). Practice What You Preach has a whole bunch of killer songs as well that never get played such as "The Time is Coming", "Sins of Omission", "Blessed in Contempt", "Perilous Nation", etc.

It's too difficult to select 8 or 9 songs from 10 albums. Especially when you need to throw in 2 or 3 songs to support and sell the new album.

Yeah, Time is Coming would totally rule live. I think Eric said he had wanted to add it to the setlist as well as 7 Days in May off SoB, Hatred's Rise off Demonic and some other obscure songs, but he has problems talking the other guys (I'm guessing that doesn't include Gene) into extending the setlist and escaping from the same 20-25 songs from which they've always been composing their set since The Gathering (these obviously are OTW, Haunting, Burnt offerings, Alone, Eerie, New Order, Trial by Fire, Into the pit, Disciples, Preacher, Practice, Sins, Souls, Legacy, Electric Crown, Low, DFG, Demonic Refusal, Burning Times, DNR, Eyes of Wrath, True Believer, 3 days, and now also More than meets the eye, formation, true american hate, rise up, native blood and dark roots). The funny thing is (until the last tour) they would always call it "old school stuff you haven't heard in a long time". Yeah, right.

Of course, they would do some occassional surprises here and there - for a couple of shows or a tour (Let Go Of My World, Raging Waters, Apocalyptic City, Envy Life, Riding the Snake, Trail of Tears are best examples) that would make you thing they'd finally get out of that magic box, but now they seem to have dropped even the more obscure "classics" (i.e. DFG, Demonic, Burning Times, Sins of Omission, The Legacy, Electric Crown) and stick to the half-of-the-TNO,-a-third-of-TL,-the-classic-title-tracks-plus-the-most-obvious-new-songs-there-are formula. I wonder who's blocking the changes. When during the 10 days in May tour in '05 I asked some of the guys why they quit playing Let Go Of My World, they said go ask Chuck. From what he's saying I would imagine he does not want to growl as much so as not to hurt his voice, but he shouldn't have problems handling the more melodic songs (other than re-learning the lyrics).

Anyway, it may sound like I'm bitching over the same thing again, but I'd still go see them play the same set for 100th time than 99% other bands for the first time. But can you imagine a 2-concert (and a live DVD) consisting of the following setlists:

Disc 1:
1. Do or Die
2. Legions (in Hiding)
3. Absence of Light
4. A Day of Reckoning
5. A Day in the Death
6. Killing Season
7. Musical Death (A Dirge)
8. Return to Serenity
9. As the Seasons Grey
10. One Man's Fate
11. All I Could Bleed
12. Careful What You Wish For
13. Together As One
14. All I Could Bleed
15. Time is Coming

Encore:
16. Shades of War
17. Reign of Terror
18. Throne of Thorns

Disc 2:
1. F.E.A.R.
2. Allegiance
3. P.C.
4. The Sermon
5. Falling Fast
6. Malpractice
7. Urotsukidōji
8. Dangers of the Faithless
9. Love to Hate
10. Time is Coming
11. Perilous Nation
12. The Ballad
13. Hail Mary
14. Distorted Lives
15. Last Stand for Independence

Encore:
16. Agony
17. Cold Embrace
18. Leave Me Forever

1425219_10153442539620332_1197081894_o.jpg

Chuck said the bluray was a special edition for Nuclear Blast Europe, so unfortunately, the only way to get it here is as an import.

Well, let's hope that at least they have managed to reach some new fans on this tour. After several headlining tours a support one was due. Naturally, I would have preferred a Metallica, Iron Maiden or AC/DC support, but being exposed to metalcore kids has its value too. Such a tour is obviously less attractive for someone who already is a Testament fan.

True enough. And I know of one person who went to the concert to see Lamb of God, had not even heard a Testament song in her life until the week before the concert, and by half way through Testament's set had posted as her Facebook status "Just became a Testament fan", so they did gain at least one new fan out of it, and hopefully more like her.

I'm a little jealous I would love to hear this stuff with virgin ears again. There are so many years of great music that she gets to hear for the first time!

That's good to hear. It's great when a band that's been out for 30 years can still gain new fans like that.

It would be great if this was a teenager there to see Killswitch and hearing them for the first time. I might counter that it is more of a sad indictment of the recording industry when a band has been around for 30 years, and it takes that long for a 40-year-old fan of the genre to hear them.

Well, her age surely sheds some new light on this issue. Better late than never, though. Maybe Testament will finally be getting what they deserve after all these years.