landscapes from your country

Great thread.
I already knew some of your countries were great, but now I know better. Iceland and Chile look amazing. Norway looks as awesome as ever.
Later I will post some pictures from Portugal and Greece (where I lived for a while), now I have to go eat. :lol:

i don't have any new landscape pics, so i'll just post some nature shots i made the other day in the woods...

3998754608_6d7614959c.jpg
3997994051_5101ed4e39.jpg

3998755830_982fd8f689.jpg

3997995041_929d658542.jpg

3997995961_a51c0bfb95.jpg

3997996143_76024ae4b6.jpg

3998758062_cf02dd9af4.jpg
3998758322_708cfdc2e6.jpg

i have this weird fascination for fungi... :)

wow! very beautiful photos :D
is that the camera you used for the borknagar concert? it does nice photos with good light conditions :)

wow! very beautiful photos :D
is that the camera you used for the borknagar concert? it does nice photos with good light conditions :)

thnx! :) yep that's the same one! it does many things indeed, except zooming in too close and reducing noise at the high iso rates in the poor light conditions :( But during Borknagar concert i used the wrong settings, with too high iso, which gave me extremely noisy result :cry:

thnx! :) yep that's the same one! it does many things indeed, except zooming in too close and reducing noise at the high iso rates in the poor light conditions :( But during Borknagar concert i used the wrong settings, with too high iso, which gave me extremely noisy result :cry:

the problem of noise is nearly with every camera. also with mine, which is not a compact one, but a reflex (but not professional).
it's advisable not to shoot with more than 400 iso, at least with 800, but in desperate situations, like if you cannot use the flash, but there will be a lot of noise. mine has also 1600 and 3200 iso but i never tried them, and never will :lol: i'm afraid of results :lol:

the best thing you can do in bad light conditions is to have an higher aperture, the higher your camera allows, which is the number with the " f ", the smaller is the f-number the opener is the diaphragm, so you will catch more light you can (f3.5 is bigger than f5.6, so you will have brighter photos with the first option)
i don't know if your camera has some kind of manual settings, the newest cameras usually have some choices other than automatic. just have some shots and look what happens.
or you can play with the exposition time to have lighter photos.
this is the other value you can change on your camera, it represents how long the exposition lasts, it can last from 1/4000 (some cameras have also 1/8000) of second to 30 seconds.
of course the longer it is, more light enters into the objective.
but you have to take care about the shaking of the camera.
there's a general law you can follow to be sure you will not have waved photos, and it 1/the length of your obiective.
for example if you have a 5X which is approximatly 180 mm you are sure to have a non-waved picture using a time of exposition of 1/180 which doesn't exist, so you can try with 1/200. but if your using your camera without any zoom you can use a time exposition of about 1/20 - 1/30 of second without any problems, but well, a lot dipends also if you have hands that shake or not.

those two settings can help you a lot during live shows. just give a try and let me know if the photos come out good.

i don't have any new landscape pics, so i'll just post some nature shots i made the other day in the woods...
i have this weird fascination for fungi... :)

I can imagine! Once I did go out in Nijmegen and after slept at my friends place. The day after we didn't know what to do (you get passive when you have a hang-over). But we googled if there was anything to do in the city. And yes! A fungi excursion! It was really fun and we learned a lot.
Some days ago we said to each other to do this one more time! :)

@ lefay: haha i always use the manual mode :p i spent hours studying the user manual before i went to my first concert with this camera! i think i cannot change the aperture on this camera :cry: the only thing i found i could change are: exposure, shutter speed, iso and white balance. Here are the specs of as good one as i got it so far, and here is the worse one (if you can be bothered) :) i think i won't get it better than the first picture with this camera :cry:
i always use 1600 or 800 iso, i don't know what got onto me to use 3200 during Borky show :bah: won't ever do it anymore

@Windvang: nice pics!! :) i have a few of those myself, but strangely i find the forest nearby more versatile and beautiful than Veluwe :rolleyes: at least, the Otterlo part of it... next time i go there, i'm gonna try the other entrance where they say you can see more wild too :D

@ lefay: haha i always use the manual mode :p i spent hours studying the user manual before i went to my first concert with this camera! i think i cannot change the aperture on this camera :cry: the only thing i found i could change are: exposure, shutter speed, iso and white balance. Here are the specs of as good one as i got it so far, and here is the worse one (if you can be bothered) :) i think i won't get it better than the first picture with this camera :cry:
i always use 1600 or 800 iso, i don't know what got onto me to use 3200 during Borky show :bah: won't ever do it anymore

which model do you have? give me a link or tell me the model, i'll search something for you. it sounds strange to me that you cannot change aperture, i mean, also when you do automatic photos the aperture changes (well automatically, but it changes), in the first photo you linked it says f 2.8 that means you have used a great aperture, even if it was automatically decided.
there are also some half-manual settings. could it be that you used the shutter priority mode? this means you the decide the shutter velocity and the camera decides the right aperture to have an exact exposition with the shutter option you gave to it.
but there's also an aperture priority, you decide the aperture and the camera decides the shutter velocity (quite dangerous, because if there isn't enough light the camera sets a too long shutter time, and photos become waved)
but the third mode is totally manual, so you can decide both aperture and shutter velocity.
the first is usually indicated by a S (shutter priority) the second by a A (aperture priority) and the third with a M (manual)
you shoul have all 3 modes. on my previous camera i had them all, and it was a quite old camera, i bought it 5-6 years ago, and it was compact camera.

anyway the tyr's photos are good :)

I have Canon Digital IXUS 85 IS, flickr tells me it's the same as Canon PowerShot SD770 ISI
i think there's no aperture mode, there is either exposure mode or shutter mode. Anyway, take a look when you're bored, no haste ;) thnx a lot for your help!

i downloaded the manual because searching on sites like canon homepage there was nothing about it.
first the camera has an aperture that goes from f2.8 to f4.9, so they are quite similar, i mean there's a difference (because aperture influences also the depht of field) but not so big. for example one of the lens i have has an aperture that goes from f3.5 to f36, that means that when i shoot with f36 there's only a little hole from which the light passes, it's useful in very sunny days for example, or when you want a great depth of field, like in landscapes photos, where everything must be on focus.
i searched the manual part on the user manual at it says very few. it says how to enter in the manual mode (page 74) and then nothing more :erk:
but i suppose it's not a real manual mode, because it's manual only if you have the total freedom and the total controll of both aperture and shutter speed. as i said before the aperture decides both the quantity of the stream of light that enters the camera, and also the depth of field, this is why is really important for artistic pourposes, because modulating it you have the full control of what you want on focus and what not.
so it's probably an half-manual way where you can choose compensation exposure, shutter speed, and iso.

oh dear you shouldn't have bothered :oops: thnx a lot for your help! That's what i thought too, so yeah that's not really manual, it's more like half manual then... oh well, i'll just have to do with this one for a while, at least it makes great videos :lol:

oh dear you shouldn't have bothered :oops: thnx a lot for your help! That's what i thought too, so yeah that's not really manual, it's more like half manual then... oh well, i'll just have to do with this one for a while, at least it makes great videos :lol:

it was a pleasure to help you...no need to thank :)

I don't have good photos of my country, but I will have them eventually.
Meanwhile, here's some photos of Greece that I took when I lived there.

Greek custom cars. :lol: (after the riots - Exarchia, Athens)
Dd7plJ8bbAPpjUUaYAfQ

Thessaloniki (just don't fall on the sea, it's incredibly filthy)
j7ICopDzUqWICJZ8m8He

Thessaloniki by night
KyMs7q5G5WIA7rKGQ12S

Metsovo in the winter (nice place to get drunk)
tz75eIrAy3nLL8qfnFze

The town of Kalambaka (my second home in Greece)
gIwyeIZg6lR1lqo7zfZ4

Athens (a bit overcrowded :zombie:)
AyOBacQK0aaJjcMb41Zd

Good old nature, excelent for trekking (not far from my third home in Greece)
Sd4v9kMCbFhGYNDKbaHO

Greek vineyard
T89aw3qqkBKZqA1fwCs3

Arriving at a greek island (I miss diving near the reefs)
b454iJr7oOtGPFQ7JWTD

Nice pictures everyone!

well Costa Rica definitely has beautiful nature too! Parents of a friend of mine wanted to move there but we have talked them out of it after watching some documentaries where it was said that it rains like 6 months a year on Costa Rica, and there are lots of insects and crocodiles :lol: is that true?

But we do have crocodiles! When we are not drinking alcohol from our coconut whilst chanting Indigenous songs naked, we do gator-wrestling. I don't really know how this Internet stuff works, but it must have to do something with coconuts. And yesterday a huge bug bit me! It was the size of a bloody coconut! And this is quite weird, since the dengue and swine-flu have killed most of the big ones. Hmmm… hope I didn't catch anything. Did I mention I love coconuts?

But we do have crocodiles! When we are not drinking alcohol from our coconut whilst chanting Indigenous songs naked, we do gator-wrestling. I don't really know how this Internet stuff works, but it must have to do something with coconuts. And yesterday a huge bug bit me! It was the size of a bloody coconut! And this is quite weird, since the dengue and swine-flu have killed most of the big ones. Hmmm… hope I didn't catch anything. Did I mention I love coconuts?

oh how lovely, you're being sarcastic :lol: but seriously, if you watch National Geographic often enough, this is what they tell you :p but i was right about the rain! :p anyway, the friend's parents i mentioned, they wouldn't move there to live in a crowded city, right now they live in the middle of nowhere in France and own quite a chunk of the forested ground. They would love to live in the middle of the jungle in Costa Rica, and i bet there're more insects and snakes there than in the forest they live in right now! :p So i'm glad we talked them out of the adventure.

@Ond: you have 2 homes in Greece and you live in Portugal? :rolleyes: Cool! :cool: never been in neither of the countries yet... But they do seem to have more snow there than we get here in NL these days! :zombie:

@Defiance Do you play football with coconuts too? And basketball? And bowling? And billiards? And table-tennis? And table-football? And hockey?

@Elvina I wish!! When I lived in Greece I had to change home a few times, so I had the chance to live in different places. My true and only home is in Portugal. In Greece snows quite a lot, I had no idea. Actually, it was the first time that I saw/fell snowing. So, as you can guess, we have very few snow in Portugal.