language used in music

LePhilosopheAthé

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2002
www.metalzine.com
Do you think people should write lyrics using their mothertongue. I am french descendant (Québec) and I write french lyrics as Vintersorg uses Norvegian (is it norvegian?). Do you think everyone should use english!! I dont think so!! I prefer to express myself easily by using my mothertongue! I'm not sold out and will never be!

Ma langue maternelle est merveilleuse, et je ne me laisserai pas emporter par l'universalisation!

"Demain je pars pour la guerre..." - Felix Leclerc

I know you're not sold out just because you use english, but sometimes its the case. I know many good band that prefer english and I respect them! I only want to be respected even if dont write english lyrics!

every language has its own beauty and speciality - the artist should decide in which language a song (or written piece of work in general) sounds best. sometimes it's the mother tongue (maybe for better expression), sometimes it's another language. it also depends on the content of the song. some languages seem to be "better" suited to express one's feelings (impressions) than others

there is a folk metal band calles Grimm with Dutch Old-Dutch and German lyrics... and yeah ancient rites have some really great lyrics. Dim Carcosa is ome of mine favorite albums all time!

it depends.I like the sound of songs in french and other languages but I also want to know what they singer is saying so I preffer english for that matter
also spanish but there is only one metal band in spanish...brujeria

Everyone I know who's heard Brujeria whines about in being in spanish, I don't get that. I don't see what the difference between not understanding lyrics in English and not understanding them in another language. I think it being in a different language can sound really cool.

To me, the language doesn't matter. If the song is
good then it's good... But, I'm not too fond of bands
changing the language... Vintersorg has done it and
it's weird for me to adjust >:eek:P hehe... But I still like
the English songs...

But latly I've realized that I'm more fond of
Norwegian/Swedish lyrics than English ones... But as
I wrote, the song in itself is more important. I have
never been good at understanding poetry, so the
music is what matters... :eek:)

but they must keep in mind that it's very annoying when someone who don't know english, tries to sing in it...

What do you mean, that it's hard for others to understand the lyrics or that someone that's not capable of expressing him/her self in English should refrain from doing so?

As far as I'm concerned artists can do what they want, in my eyes their main goal should be expressing themselves as they seem correct. And of course we should like it :)

A Dutch punkband called 'De Heideroosjes' actually use four different languages (or dialects): Dutch, English, German and their own dialect, which I think is Limburgs (southern Netherlands).
Since it's a punkband they tend to address certain issues very direct, and they make good use of the differences between languages.

What I personally prefer is either English or Swedish, I've lived in Sweden for some years so I've got somewhat of a link with the country, and apart from the fact that I think it sounds cool (adds some depth to it), I like reading Swedish, just because I can :)

Originally posted by Roest
What do you mean, that it's hard for others to understand the lyrics or that someone that's not capable of expressing him/her self in English should refrain from doing so?

See, as far as I can tell, NO ONE here is saying that anyone SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do anything. But I agree with Soulburner, if an artist's grasp of English is piss-poor (I'm looking at As Divine Grace's debut EP "Romantic Beatitude of Faded Dawn"), it does get irritating. Knowing that, if they still want to do that, that's fine by me. If the music's good enough, I can put up with some irritation. And if someone else can't, it still shouldn't put any pressure on the artist.

This thread reminds me of the German Version from Manowars "Heart of Steel", hehehehehe.....

I think it´s ok if someone sings lyrics in foreign language and therefore has a little accent, that´s somehow part of the music´s character, but if it´s obvious that the vocalist has no idea of the words he´s singing, its ridiculous.

Everyone should do what MAGMA did back in the 70s and make up their own language to sing in. Hortz wlasik Kobaïa!

BTW, this thread reminds me of something I've been wondering.
French is a Romance, also called Latin language, yes?
Does this mean that the French speaking parts of Canada is a "Latin American" country?
And more importantly, does this make Voïvod "Latin American Music"?
If so, why have they never appeared on the Latin Music Awards?

No, I think it's great if a band uses native language (in most cases, that sounds better than trying but failing in English, right? ;) ) cause it IS native - and thuse they could express them selves better, eventually. And it got something more mysterious at times, when you cannot understand and have to find out ;)

For example, I enjoy Vintersorg singing in Swedish, Menhir in German, the one song I know of Raventhrone in French (Crepescule) is also magnificent... and there are more examples :)

Guess an artist can make better use of native language in poetic forms than in English, unless his native tongue in English ;)