Laptop recommendations?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, I'm getting to the point where I'll want a new laptop (AND NOT A MAC, thanks), and I was wondering if you all had any recommendations. I'm not really too picky; I guess my only criteria would be preferably 15.4" widescreen (rather than 17", which kinda defeats the portability aspect, but I'm flexible on that), preferably a 7200 RPM HDD, and a firewire port (naturally). I was looking at Alienware, but their 17" is ironically about half the price of their 15.4", which sucks the nuts for me, cuz under $2000 when fully spec'ed is a must. Oh, and I HATE DELL. So no way on that.

Thanks a lot guys!

gallery-big-05.jpg

;)

definatly get the macbook air its just so versatile and has everything you would ever need to sit in a coffee house pretending to write.:lol:

*siiiiiigggghhhhhh* I hate you guys so very...very...much

But seriously, to answer your question Migreeni, I don't want a Mac because A) There's way less free software for it (legit free software) and more importantly B) They're just so expensive. So anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, that $2000 Rain looks perfect, and it even has a decent graphics card should the spirit move me to play games on my computer rather than on my 360 or PS3 with my 32" HD LCD :heh: Pricey, though you get what you pay for I suppose, and on that note, I have a Compaq laptop that I got a couple of years ago that's identical to some HP model (since HP owns Compaq now, it's the same but without less bells and whistles), and it's been a little shaky - the DVD drive is broken, the screen hinge made a popping noise a little while ago and now swings with way less resistance, and I just generally want something a bit higher quality for my next one.

IME, Apple does make the best laptop for the money (coming from a guy who built his own tower a couple times to avoid paying for a Mac tower).

I'd heavily suggest looking into them more. There isn't as much legit free software, but there's enough and even some cheap enough that it makes it worth it. Shit, Metric Halo's Channelstrip alone should cover most of your EQ/Comp needs, and it's like $350!

I just ordered a MacBook Pro to replace my MacBook... holy fuck I can't wait.

Yeah I second DSS3.

While the Apple laptops are more expensive than non Macs, I think the money is money well spent. Then again, if you prefer using windows, no point in getting a Mac. But if you are open to a switch, you will not be disappointed.

But seriously, to answer your question Migreeni, I don't want a Mac because A) There's way less free software for it (legit free software) and more importantly B) They're just so expensive. So anyone else?

I disagree...completely :)

Keep in mind you can run windows for any software you can't find for the mac.

as a mac user im gona chime in that its prety gay that you cant use any ripped software. cuz im a prety cheap bastard an i really dont feel like alot of plugins i use are worth 300$ + so yeh i would say fuck off with macs unless youve got plenty of cash to throw arround which im guessing you dont.

While $300 may be a lot for plugins, it is what it is and we have to pay for the product to obtain it legally. If all you are concerned is availability of illegal software on a certain platform, you are obviously an idiot...sorry.

as a mac user im gona chime in that its prety gay that you cant use any ripped software. cuz im a prety cheap bastard an i really dont feel like alot of plugins i use are worth 300$ + so yeh i would say fuck off with macs unless youve got plenty of cash to throw arround which im guessing you dont.

No disrespect to you whatsoever, but don't you think thats a little harsh?

DSS3 mentioned the Metric Halo Strip which is a wonderful piece of software worth every penny! :)

Different "flavors" or "colors" are nice but in all honesty it's more than anyone needs.

as.jpg

ok dude im not usingthe product comercially im not making money off it im just trying to learn how to do this shit an i dont think 300$ is a fair price for some of this shit, now if i was making money of it i would have absolutley no problem with paying money where it is due i just personally feel like they should charge based on whether its your home recordings or profesional shit not just murder everyone for the us of a fukin eq. And seriously dude having an opinion does not make someone an idiot going with the flow and believing that macs are better because steve jobs says they are is.

No disrespect to you whatsoever, but don't you think thats a little harsh?

DSS3 mentioned the Metric Halo Strip which is a wonderful piece of software worth every penny! :)

Different "flavors" or "colors" are nice but in all honesty it's more than anyone needs.

as.jpg

Yes im sure there are plenty of plugins that are worth every penny but i would also say that a majority of people myself included are not quite at the stage that they would really notice the difference between one eq or compressor or know when best to use a certain one to acheive a certain effect know Mr.sneap certainly knows excatly when to use a certain plugin and how to apply it, I dont think i should pay 300$ to try to figure that stuff out when i could get it for free.

btw, Waves has demos available that you can learn to use for free. Actually, a lot of companies offer demos for their plug ins for free as well. I do agree with you though, $300 for a simple plug in is pretty expensive.

The Channel Strip seems almost like a steal considering what you get with it. It makes Waves look bad, ha.

edit: and I never said Macs were better because Steve Jobs said they were. wtf. I could care less about Steve Jobs, tbh. I actually said what platform you use is personal preference iirc.