Lars Talks About Jason In Ozzy & Being Lost........

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
On former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted joining OZZY OSBOURNE's touring band:

"I don't know… I don't know… I think if that's where his head is at, then it's awesome. Five minutes ago, he was talking about VOIVOD and how he finally found a home, and now he's talking about something else. You know what?! We've got so much going on within our own little world here that we're trying to expend our energy thinking about that. I can't… It's difficult… Jason was with us for 14 years, and we had a hell of a ride together, and I have a lot of love and respect for him. What's happened in the last two years since he left METALLICA, I can't keep up with it. I've sort of given up . . . I've heard a couple of the VOIVOD things that sounded really good. It sounded like he was really psyched and really happy. It's weird, man. I don't have anything to say, 'cause I don't wanna say anything bad. I wish him all the best. I just hope that he finds what it is that he's looking for, you know . . . It's such a weird thing. It's really like he left our band, and it was like, 'Cool, peace. We had a great 14 years together.' And then, after he left our band, then [Jason] was like, 'Well, if they called me and asked me if I wanted to come back...' And [we were like], 'Dude, you left our band. Thanks, but we're cool. It's all good, man. Don't worry about it.' And I really mean this, like, genuinely. It just sounds like… he's a little lost or something. Playing with Ozzy is obviously an awesome thing, but… I would love to play a gig or two with Ozzy just to say that I played a gig or two with Ozzy, but it just sounds like it's a little… I don't know… [Jason] sounds a little lost or something. I don't know…"

I'm happy for Jason. What a great career, played with Metallica for years (even though the quality of the band nose-dived) , now gonna jam with Ozzy , what musician wouldn't want to get paid to do that? I don't think Jason is lost at all , good for him.

Anybody else have a hard time understanding what the hell Lars was talking about? Good God...talk about going in circles! Is Lars doing white dope these days...because this sounds like someone jacked up on some brain cell killers!

LARS ULRICH: 'METALLICA Have Never Sounded So Good'

The April 3, 2003 issue of Rolling Stone magazine features a short write-up on METALLICA recent bassist addition, former SUICIDAL TENDENCIES/OZZY OSBOURNE veteran Robert Trujillo, and includes a couple of quotes from drummer Lars Ulrich and Trujillo about the auditioning process that led to Robert being chosen to fill the slot left vacant by Jason Newsted's departure two years ago.

When Newsted joined METALLICA in 1986, the band put him through a tough initiation: charging extravagant sushi dinners to his hotel rooms and sometimes ditching him without a ride. Despite this, Trujillo says he isn't scared. "I'm not worried about the hazing," he claimed. "The guys seem to be a little more laid-back these days. Maybe they'll throw something at me, but I'll probably throw it at them first." Drummer Lars Ulrich agreed. "We went so overboard back in the day," he said. "We got all the hazing out of the way."

According to Ulrich, Trujillo landed the gig after a smoking rehearsal, which peaked during "Kill 'Em All" classics "Hit The Lights" and "Whiplash". "We were trying to find someone who could inspire us to step it up to another level," said Ulrich. "I have to say that when we played with Rob, and we listened back, METALLICA have never sounded so good."

Newsted was equally complimentary when asked about his replacement. "Rob will make METALLICA awesome," he said, adding that they were "helping each other learn songs from our previous bands." [Newsted has now officially joined OZZY OSBOURNE's band as their new bassist]

METALLICA are preparing to release their new album, "St. Anger", on June 10, and are practicing for the Summer Sanitarium 2003 Tour with LINKIN PARK and LIMP BIZKIT.

From Blabbermouth.Net