last addition to second stage: ANCIENT DREAMS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA....sure if you want to be a band that does nothing. Even bands who say they just play for fun have a marketing plan even if they dont realized it. If you have a goal as a band...that is the start to a marketing plan. Eventually you get tired of playing for free and to your freinds and want to evolve. Sure you may not be in it for the career aspect or money...but you will always have a marketing plan.

Wow, I wasn't expecting Bobby to agree with me on this one.......

We are doing this band for one reason, to play music we like because we enjoy it. If we were doing a band for money, I would honestly do a tribute band.

That being said, marketing is everything.
Though I guess it depends what you want out of a band.

I just want people to be interested enough in our band so we can continue to get shows and keep the drive for making more music.

The problem with full songs is that people quickly judge the band or album as a whole based on ONE song.

GHOST'S "secular haze" is a good example of this......

For now, until things get more established, I like that you all have heard about a minute and a half of two songs which should give you a good idea of what it's about.

Trust us, there will be a time very soon where our demo will be available online for free, with plans of a physical release as well.

So sorry if it bothers some of you that a full song hasn't been released.
This is also due to the fact that these are rough initial recordings which may (probably) be re-recorded for the final demo release.

The problem with full songs is that people quickly judge the band or album as a whole based on ONE song.

GHOST'S "secular haze" is a good example of this......

I see what you mean, but at the same time, don't you think people will judge bands off a sample just the same?

I think what Yoda is getting at is that you guys are a new underground heavy metal band with a demo in the works and 180 seconds worth on material available to the public, and you're worried about your marketing plan? I mean, your stuff sounds decent, but the samples are too short to hear how you develop your musical ideas or anything. I'm guilty about putting sample clips online and giving people just that, but I always wanted to put full songs online, I just didn't have anything finished.

Have you guys heard of the new Swedish doom band called "Below"? They put a single, killer fucking song on Soundcloud, and they've had large reaction in the European underground scene. I mean, I was pleasantly surprised at the German/Greek reaction to Gatekeeper when we first started putting stuff up, but Below totally one-upped us on that. They're already on Hammer of Doom festival, and they haven't even released anything!

https://soundcloud.com/howlinowl/below-1000-broken-bones

I think what Yoda is getting at is that you guys are a new underground heavy metal band with a demo in the works and 180 seconds worth on material available to the public, and you're worried about your marketing plan? I mean, your stuff sounds decent, but the samples are too short to hear how you develop your musical ideas or anything. I'm guilty about putting sample clips online and giving people just that, but I always wanted to put full songs online, I just didn't have anything finished.

Have you guys heard of the new Swedish doom band called "Below"? They put a single, killer fucking song on Soundcloud, and they've had large reaction in the European underground scene. I mean, I was pleasantly surprised at the German/Greek reaction to Gatekeeper when we first started putting stuff up, but Below totally one-upped us on that. They're already on Hammer of Doom festival, and they haven't even released anything!

That is a killer song! Do these guys have a facebook or website?

I see what you mean, but at the same time, don't you think people will judge bands off a sample just the same?

wait till you all realize that these sound samples are actually a new genre they are creating....just like grindcore has 30 second songs....this is all 30 second doom songs...since doom is so dull and drawn out...the new kids get tired of it quickly so jason developed this new genre for the current kids in this digital age by doing all 30 second doom songs.

Yeah, my comment was meant for comedic purposes. I do agree that you need to do some marketing and stuff, otherwise nobody will even hear of your band. But I guess I just take the Revelation approach to music and just release music for free because I don't really care. I'd rather have people hear my demo and cds and stuff for free than for nobody to listen to it cause they have to purchase it.

But, of course, I guess that is a marketing strategy in it's own right lol. I look at my projects and think that I only need enough money to keep this going, so enough money to fund merchandise, gear, and studio time. Anything else is a cool profit that will likely be spent on beer anyways.

All good points.

@Simon - at least with a short sample, folks will listen to the full thing.

@Element Man and Yoda - full songs WILL be available soon. We are not at all worried as out making money. As I said our stuff in the demo era of the band will be online for free. Physical product will be made as collectors will possibly want it. Or at least that's what I am hearing.

You wouldnt believe the offer received from Swords and Chains! I could pay off my mortgage.

All good points.

@Simon - at least with a short sample, folks will listen to the full thing.

@Element Man and Yoda - full songs WILL be available soon. We are not at all worried as out making money. As I said our stuff in the demo era of the band will be online for free. Physical product will be made as collectors will possibly want it. Or at least that's what I am hearing.

You wouldnt believe the offer received from Swords and Chains! I could pay off my mortgage.

We would be releasing, exclusively mind you, all Ancient Dreams material on the best format to ever be seen in the world...the Wax Cylinder!