Last CD you bought

Meh. I actually like Animatronic and SETI a lot more than Nexus Polaris. Other bands (Borknagar, Solefald) do the Post-Black thing a lot better than Covenant did. At least their two latest albums sound kinda unique.

Rivfadír;6546982 said:
Meh. I actually like Animatronic and SETI a lot more than Nexus Polaris. Other bands (Borknagar, Solefald) do the Post-Black thing a lot better than Covenant did. At least their two latest albums sound kinda unique.

I didn't like Animatronic, haven't heard SETI... it also didn't help that I saw them open for Amorphis a couple of years ago and they were really awful. Nagash also got pissy with the crowd because no one got into his half-hearted performance, and just ended with "fuck you" when the House of Blues people told him to get off stage, for like, Lamb of God or something.

Rivfadír said:
Animatronic is one of my all-time favorite albums. SETI and Nexus are about equally good, in my opinion. By the way, I don't really agree with what you're saying there, Solefald and Borknagar are more avantgarde, symphonic or progressive, whereas The Kovanant simply is outer-space-science-fiction-metal, with a touch of anti-religion :)

Naglfar said:
I didn't like Animatronic, haven't heard SETI... it also didn't help that I saw them open for Amorphis a couple of years ago and they were really awful. Nagash also got pissy with the crowd because no one got into his half-hearted performance, and just ended with "fuck you" when the House of Blues people told him to get off stage, for like, Lamb of God or something.

that must have been in 2000, i think it's awesome you've seen The Kovenant!! (apart from the fact you don't like them at all).
they haven't played live in years and only have been in the US on that particular tour. And I think they opened for The Berzerker, but not sure.

I'm dying to see them live, and judging from the updated website, they will tour after the release of the new album, Aria Galactica :loco:

oh btw, today I received Beyond Dawn - Revelry

Animatronic is one of my all-time favorite albums. SETI and Nexus are about equally good, in my opinion. By the way, I don't really agree with what you're saying there, Solefald and Borknagar are more avantgarde, symphonic or progressive, whereas The Kovanant simply is outer-space-science-fiction-metal, with a touch of anti-religion :)

I just think Nexus, and to a much larger degree In Times Before the Light, are extremely generic.

I saw them in like... 2002? Maybe it was 2000; all I know is that I was at least 2nd year in college.

Times is a pretty crappy album. But I wouldn't call Nexus Polaris generic, not because by today's standards it's really orginal or anything, but I think the sound they came up with on that album became a real staple of black metal in general, especially for bands like Dimmu Borgir (I know, I know, they're just some Mtv band now but you know what I mean).

Nexus Polaris is one of my favorite albums from the 1990s, for sure.

picked these up last week...

Moonsorrow-Verisakeet
Moonsorrow-Kivenkantaja
Moonsorrow-Voimasia ja Kunniasta
Akercocke-Antichrist
Aeon-Rise to dominate
Thurisaz-Circadian Rhythm
Nile-Ithyphallic
Oathean-10 day in Lachrymation/Fading away into the grave of nothingness
Winds-Prominence and Demise

Aryan Terrorism - War
Nordman - Nordman
Bloodbound - Nosferatu *good band, I saw them at SRF*
Arckanum - Trulen
Fronda - En Armé på två ben *I bought it for my cousin, NOT me*
Dismay - Demo *local band in Uddevalla - Great!*
Black Label Society - Shot to Hell

Downloaded-
Isengard - Vinterskugge
Absurd - Werewolf Throne
Trollfest - Willkommen Folk Tell Drekka Fest
Doro & Warlock - Rare Diamonds
Hollywood - demo *local band in Skåne*
Satanas Ratnik - demo *local band in Stockholm*

Did you buy the downloads too?
Cause, if it's illegal downloads, I don't really see the point in writing them in this thread. (Not that I care about your downloading, I only care about downloading when it's bands I really respect (Ulver, Solefald, Borknagar, Vintersorg)

I do both - if I cannot find an album that I have to pay for to download, I do it for free.
Yes, I do download Vintersorg, but that's just a copy to keep me under controll until I get the real copy on cd.
Usually, I end up buying the albums anyway, but I download them first to hear them and to keep me sane from waiting until I can get my hands on it. So, I really don't think anything is wrong with that.
But at the same time, music is an art, and I really don't think that Mr.V does this to get rich from it. I mean, shit... according to what I've read, he holds down another job, upon all of his projects. So I really dont' think that he, himself, would really care... I mean, I'm just as a die-hard Vintersorg fan as the rest of you, and his music inspires me and gets me through the day properly. So...

Svarthjärtad;6550739 said:
I do both - if I cannot find an album that I have to pay for to download, I do it for free.
Yes, I do download Vintersorg, but that's just a copy to keep me under controll until I get the real copy on cd.
Usually, I end up buying the albums anyway, but I download them first to hear them and to keep me sane from waiting until I can get my hands on it. So, I really don't think anything is wrong with that.
But at the same time, music is an art, and I really don't think that Mr.V does this to get rich from it. I mean, shit... according to what I've read, he holds down another job, upon all of his projects. So I really dont' think that he, himself, would really care... I mean, I'm just as a die-hard Vintersorg fan as the rest of you, and his music inspires me and gets me through the day properly. So...

He does care, actually. He's stated it before that people should pay for music, including his.

It's jolly Dan Swano (ex-Edge of Sanity songwriter / vocalist, who has a UM forum too) who doesn't care, so long as people listen to his music. =)

Dude, I said I don't care. I just don't see the point of writing what you downloaded here, as I would be writing a lot of stuff then. I do the same as you.

Nexus Polaris is a great avantgarde album. The previous one sound a little like Dimmu's "for all tid" with the old emperor keys, but Nexus is a different story... Maybe the line-up of the album made the difference... Steinar Sverd (my favourite keyboardist in metal) and HH really shine on the album... it's weird, that's true but that's I like about it, Like when I heard for first time La Masquerade Infernale... that's was very weird to hear the first time but is one of my favourite metal albums and one of the best symphonic musical pieces never written in metal... Those albums/bands creates new ways to make music, like Vintersotg when he released VFTSG or the new SR... if The Kovenant doens't makes music totally different than before that`s a very common and natural progression as a musician... I respect the new works of the K's guys.

It's very hard to compare Covenant with Solefald or Borknagar... too different are these bands but all of them had evolved and changed a lot... see Borknagar. first they were a raw black metal with some folk influences... see them now...

about the Avantgarde label, I consider as "the" avantgarde bands only to Arcturus and Ulver, the rest are just for me - or too progressive or too symphonic mixing too much things... I don't consider Borknagar as a avantgarde band... just a too progresive black metal band, the same for Solefald or last Emperor.

Well, if you download music, well... no one here is the person to say you "you must not to do that"... that's your choice, but if I think like an artist, that's very sad...

Long time ago was a thread about this and Mr V said clearly you must to pay to support.. I think the same way.

So, if you buy and album, dvd or whatever, that's great and you're welcome to share it with us, but if you're downloading... that not have nothing to pressume about or to feel proud of yourself.

But I do pay for his music once I can find the album... I just get a free copy to hold me down 'til I buy the actuall album, itself. That's what I'm saying about the 'illegal' downloading.

Svarthjärtad;6552359 said:
But I do pay for his music once I can find the album... I just get a free copy to hold me down 'til I buy the actuall album, itself. That's what I'm saying about the 'illegal' downloading.

i totally agree...
for those who don't live in the north of europe (i'm speaking mostly for scandinavian metal) or in big cities in the south, is very difficoult to find some kind of cds, i mean, metal is not a mainstream kind of music, i cannot find the bigger part of metal cds i'm looking for in my own city (they have only metallica, iron maiden, and stuff like that), i 've to go to florence to find a good cd shop, and it's about 90 km far from here....
so i download them, if i cannot wait anymore, waiting to find them in a nearer shop, at a cd fair, or everywhere else.
solens rotter came to life in may, i got it original only the 15th of july (my birthday) because i went to florence to buy it (toghether with the last king diamond's album, which i downloaded too before), i'm sorry but i listened to that album for about 2 months from my pc....but finally i was able to buy it, and that's the important thing...so i don't really see where is the problem.

the biggest problem for me are prices, which are too high here in italy (19 euro for solens rotter and 21 euro for king diamond because of the digipack :puke:)...and sometimes (i have to say often) i buy used cds...which is a sort of piracy i know, because artists don't take money from this second sale.

People. No need to defend yourselves in here. I'm quite sure most of us have downloaded pirated stuff at least once. We're not the RIAA. As long as you DO buy some albums, it's fine with me.