Last Man Standing: A reverb plugin shootout

Fox Mulder

The Truth Is Out There
Jan 22, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hello ppl,
I've been thinking of this reverb plugin "opinion shootout" for a while. I wish to have a comparison of the stuff that the usual "Mr. Hot Shot Engineer" would use, not the freebies.:heh:
Currently, I'm using D-verb and Waves RVerb.

Thanks.:)

The idea sounds cool in theory, but I dont think you could ever get an accurate shoot-out between reverbs. Mics can't change sound, and reamp boxes dont have many variables to change either, so they make for good shoot-outs. Reverbs on the other hand each have tons of different settings. You would have to test every plug-ins hall effect to eachother, room effect to eachother, plate effect to eachother... not to mention some might sound better with a longer decay or different pre-delay than others, which would ruin the consistency of the shoot-out.

Cheers for the post.

It is true what you have said. On the other hand, the matter of "good" or "bad" always comes down to a person's perception. Therefore, I just want to analyze people's likes/dislikes, check out what they use, and try those myself.

I'd expect people to come and say, "I prefer using Rverb for drums rather than TL Space with settings of usually blah blah blah" or "I've heard this shit is really good, gotta try it out" or "This sucks..." - stuff like that. Cuz again, the matter of good or bad always depends on one's perception. :heh: I come across of an opinion that I like about a certain plugin, and feel confident about that person's opinion - I'd check it out.

Like that, me and people other people could find themselves evaluating 3-4 reverb plugins rather a few 100 of them. Much easier, because there may be a matter of "common thinking" at times especially when you consider the fact that we're all aiming for one genre - Metal.

:)

Oh and yes, I'm changing the subject of the root message.