Late Night Atlanta Restaurants

Krisjibs

Mar 19, 2006
Last year I made the sad mistake of leaving for progpower with the assumption that, in a huge city like Atlanta, it would be easy to find food after the show. Ha. First night we had a grueling and slightly frightening experience at Waffle House (during which we waited 40 minutes for our food, received terrible service, and were told that they couldn't ring up my check unless I had exact change), so the second night we decided to play it safe and stick to McDonald's...who told us that they couldn't make double cheeseburgers after 12...hmm. Anyway, anyone know of a halfway decent late night grub stop?

Sumeet drove some of us to a pretty decent 24 hour diner one year, but I have absolutely no idea where it is. I think perhaps it's somewhere south of the venue.

There's the city cafe on Harris/Baker by the Aquarium, it's 24-hr. The 24-hr Chinese restaurant should have re-opened a couple of block south of where it used to be (next to the courtyard), but I'll have to check if Paul hasn't. There's also the Burger Joint across the Hwy, by the Courtyard, they deliver, and I believe they're open till 2-3AM. There's also a Denny's within driving distance (Piedmont side of Peachtree Rd), I think, but I'll double check on that as well, since it's on the way to my office from the venue. Oh yeah, there's also the City Cafe Diner by Georgia Tech (which is up the road from the Courtyard where TBS headquarters are), best to snag a cab or carpool there as it's a bit of a hike. But it's 24-hrs too. I'm trying to remember how close the Landmark Diners are, outside of the one on North Druid Hills and the Marietta Diner (awesome food, but also a good drive from the venue to the tune of about 20 minutes). There's also R. Thomas, if you're into veggie food, or even if you're not, it's pretty good stuff, but it's on North Peachtree by Macquarium.

Of course, the Midtown area, where the venue is, is lacking in the food department, as it's mostly businesses there. For late night stuff, you'll have to go North on Buford Hwy or Peachtree/Buckhead for food, or further into Downtown

tAcO cAbAnA...tAcO cAbAnA...tAcO cAbAnA...tAcO cAbAnA...tAcO cAbAnA...tAcO cAbAnA...tAcO cAbAnA...

There's also a Checkers that is open fairly late and not all that far from the venue. I don't remember exactly where it is, since I wasn't driving (or paying attention).

im always on a vote for city cafe or taco cabana...also THE FUCKING VORTEX...though i dont know if its open late at night

It isn't.

Taco Cabana rules...although not as much as the one near TX MadFest, now officially referred to as The Mindflow Taco Cabana. It's an easy drive north of the venue and is 24 hours. Corner of Cheshire Bridge Rd and Piedmont.

City Cafe...... The one at 10th St and Hemphill is open 24 hours. I understand the one under the Days Inn in downtown is not 24 hours any more.

R. Thomas.....unless it moved from its location on Peachtree St., it is within a long walk from the venue and hotels.

Kroger...for those with fridges and microwaves in their rooms, Kroger supermarket is open 24 hours and is north of the venue/hotels on Peachtree (just over the I-85 bridge, and across from the Amtrak station at Deering St.)

Chinese Buddha -- our longtime favorite post-PP Chinese place has indeed reopened. The good news is that it is now on the same side of I-75/85 as the venue and hotels. The bad news is that it's on 10th St, not 14th St, so it's 4 blocks further south. It is also no longer 24 hours but it's close enough for us: Monday 11am-10pm, Tues-Sat 1100am-6am, Sunday 6:30pm-4am.
They deliver but I recommend calling ahead and just picking stuff up: 404-874-5158
They're at 100 10th St NW #125 which is literally next to the freeway on 10th St. They have a parking garage now where patrons can park, the entrance is to the left of the front patio, it's kinda tricky at first. Note that tall vans probably will NOT fit. Their waiter 'Jackie Chan' (he looks just like him) actually recognized me instantly when I went there during Dragon*Con...this, after over a year away from the place. That was kinda cool. :)

Steak'n'Shake: this is off I-75 to the north, at the Northside Drive/Paces Ferry Rd exit. 24 hours.

North Druid Hills Rd: this exit to the north off I85 is just a few minutes away from the venue and has a Krystal (with free Wi-Fi), a 24-hour diner and a decent 24-hour Mcdonalds drive-through.

Pellaz,

As ALWAYS, you're there with the important info!

It sounds like if you're on foot late at night, the options are China Buddha, Kroger, and City Cafe (never been to this one).

Steve in Philly

Pellaz,

As ALWAYS, you're there with the important info!

It sounds like if you're on foot late at night, the options are China Buddha, Kroger, and City Cafe (never been to this one).

Steve in Philly

Hmm, Chinese Buddha would be a substantial walk south. It'd be an easy drive at night, though, with a 4- or 5-minute turnaround time if you have to run an unofficial shuttle. :)

City Cafe is also not that close of a walk; the nearest one is on Tenth St and probably close to 3/4 mile west of the freeway, uphill.

Kroger should be do-able (walk north on Peachtree and across the freeway). If R. Thomas is still in the same place, it's a few blocks further north. There's a Mickey D's up that way as well, but only the drive-through would be open.

Not within walking distance, but Landmark Diner is open 24 hours and they have killer food...its located deeper in downtown, on Peachtree St. (Across the street from Woodruff Park) And it's pretty cheap!! ...all this talk about food is making me HUNGRY!!

Kroger...for those with fridges and microwaves in their rooms, Kroger supermarket is open 24 hours and is north of the venue/hotels on Peachtree (just over the I-85 bridge, and across from the Amtrak station at Deering St.)

I never managed to find Kroger last year. Are we talking the Peachtree the venue is on...or a different one? :erk:

I never managed to find Kroger last year. Are we talking the Peachtree the venue is on...or a different one? :erk:

When you walk out of the venue, turn left and walk up to the Buford Hwy/P'tree Rd split. Go across W. P'tree, then turn left again and keep walking straight (this should put you on P'tree). The Kroger is in the Borders shopping center once you walk over Hwy 85. But you will walk past the Super 8 and several other businesses.

I second the Marietta Diner. Obviously its too far for many who are not more familiar with the area, but it has to be the best all night option. Hell, its good enough to go to during the daytime.

Are there taco bells nearby? I can live with waffle house and taco bell, but ill be a fat bastard for a few days :D

Not within easy walking distance. :( The nearest/easiest to drive to at night would either be on Ponce De Leon, or the one that's further north on P'Tree Rd. from the Kroger, or there's one off I-85 North, to the east a half-mile on N. Druid Hills Rd. Problem is, their drive-thrus would be closed after PP is over.

That one on Peachtree Rd. should be fairly close, but Google showed it up near Lenox Mall. I'd swear it was closer......

i wish the Varsity was next door to Centerstage....

It's not a bad drive at night, just 17 blocks or so, but I think it also closes before PPUSA will be over.

I second the Marietta Diner. Obviously its too far for many who are not more familiar with the area, but it has to be the best all night option. Hell, its good enough to go to during the daytime.

heh, that's the best praise of all for a 24-hour diner! :)

If Marietta Diner is like its other namesakes in town, then the City Cafe on 10th or the one downtown inside the Days Inn should be combat-equivalent to it, and much closer. Stop me if this sounds familiar: huge menu, huge desserts (the dreaded foot-tall cakes!), huge portions....typically brightly-lit with a lot of neon.....
I've noticed that regardless of the city (Atlanta, Chattanooga) or the name ("Metro Cafe," "City Cafe"), they alllll have an entree called something like "The Tour of Milan" which includes chicken parmigian, lasagna and an alfredo pasta. Every one. :heh: