Late Night Atlanta Restaurants

heh, that's the best praise of all for a 24-hour diner! :)

If Marietta Diner is like its other namesakes in town, then the City Cafe on 10th or the one downtown inside the Days Inn should be combat-equivalent to it, and much closer. Stop me if this sounds familiar: huge menu, huge desserts (the dreaded foot-tall cakes!), huge portions....typically brightly-lit with a lot of neon.....
I've noticed that regardless of the city (Atlanta, Chattanooga) or the name ("Metro Cafe," "City Cafe"), they alllll have an entree called something like "The Tour of Milan" which includes chicken parmigian, lasagna and an alfredo pasta. Every one. :heh:

Ha, yeah sounds about right...and it has to be run by some Greeks. They do have a pretty wide ranging menu at that - southern food, typical american diner food, italian, etc. Marietta Diner even has beer. Not a great selection or anything (but then I'm a "beer snob") but still.

I think i've been to City Cafe but its been so long I can't remember it...ought to be a good choice though.

Ha, yeah sounds about right...and it has to be run by some Greeks.

Yes, the menu has a lot of Greek options. :)

They do have a pretty wide ranging menu at that - southern food, typical american diner food, italian, etc. Marietta Diner even has beer. Not a great selection or anything (but then I'm a "beer snob") but still.

The beer is unusual for one of these places, but the Metro Cafe (open 24 hours now in downtown, in the heart of the hotel district) does serve alcohol.

For those staying at the Inn at the Peachtrees, either the Metro Cafe (on International Blvd half a block east of P'Tree St) or the City Cafe (bottom of the Days Inn, at Williams/W. Peachtree/Baker) are within walking distance.

The Midtown area is going down the tubes. Not that it was a great place to begin with, but as time has gone on it is less appealing and open to events such as ProgPower. Two hotels (Fairfield and Hampton) have gone away. The Granada will undergo renovation. Now one of the few local area restaurants will probably be going away.

Wonder what the future will bring.. :erk:

Not a late night restaurant - but I remember walking town Peachtree Road across the I-85 bridge there was a Ted's Montana Grill. Since Steve and I are staying at the Super 8, its withing walking distance for us. More expensive than fast food (there's a Wendy's in the same area) but after a while fast food gets old.

It will bring the same fate that Buckhead is suffering, least the main area of Midtown will. I'm sure the eastern edge and the Va-Hi areas will still retain the smaller cafe styles that they still have, but the P'tree/Spring area is gonna be more "metropolitan" and no one will be able to afford to live there again. *shrugs* This is what we get for wanting to be the LA of the East Coast and the NYC of the South.

When you walk out of the venue, turn left and walk up to the Buford Hwy/P'tree Rd split. Go across W. P'tree, then turn left again and keep walking straight (this should put you on P'tree). The Kroger is in the Borders shopping center once you walk over Hwy 85. But you will walk past the Super 8 and several other businesses.

Thanks...hopefully, this year I'll actually find it!

The Midtown area is going down the tubes. Not that it was a great place to begin with, but as time has gone on it is less appealing and open to events such as ProgPower. Two hotels (Fairfield and Hampton) have gone away. The Granada will undergo renovation. Now one of the few local area restaurants will probably be going away.

Wonder what the future will bring.. :erk:

In fairness, the Hampton had no choice but to close, since that entire corridor was condemned for the 14th Street widening project -- which begins in just a few days, BTW. The Fairfield was sold to SCAD at presumably a decent price to provide a dorm for their students at their Midtown campus. And, Taco Cabana isn't even in Midtown, it's in the Morningside district. (It just happens to be an easy nighttime drive from the venue/hotels.)

In fairness, the Hampton had no choice but to close, since that entire corridor was condemned for the 14th Street widening project -- which begins in just a few days, BTW. The Fairfield was sold to SCAD at presumably a decent price to provide a dorm for their students at their Midtown campus. And, Taco Cabana isn't even in Midtown, it's in the Morningside district. (It just happens to be an easy nighttime drive from the venue/hotels.)

I'm well aware what happened to both the Fairfield and Hampton, but that doesn't solve the problem of lack of hotel rooms in the area. As time goes on, we may have to get rooms closer to downtown and take the MARTA or a taxi to and from CS. :Smug:

I'm well aware what happened to both the Fairfield and Hampton, but that doesn't solve the problem of lack of hotel rooms in the area. As time goes on, we may have to get rooms closer to downtown and take the MARTA or a taxi to and from CS. :Smug:

--But you said the "Midtown area is going down the tubes...." Far from it; after the 14th Street reconstruction the area should be fine.

It will bring the same fate that Buckhead is suffering, least the main area of Midtown will. I'm sure the eastern edge and the Va-Hi areas will still retain the smaller cafe styles that they still have, but the P'tree/Spring area is gonna be more "metropolitan" and no one will be able to afford to live there again. *shrugs* This is what we get for wanting to be the LA of the East Coast and the NYC of the South.

I wouldn't say that Buckhead is suffering. I would say its nice to be able to go through that area at night without having to deal with the cops and their roadblocks. I can actually go to Fadó now without feeling like i've walked into a "Lil John" video. Not that the area isn't still annoying for other reasons.

Sumeet drove some of us to a pretty decent 24 hour diner one year, but I have absolutely no idea where it is. I think perhaps it's somewhere south of the venue.

Heh... yeah, that was in 2005, when I had that ridiculous rental minivan. Looking through this thread, I'm pretty sure that diner is the City Cafe that Pellaz and freakchylde referred to.

I went To Vortex LAst year really late at night and loved it

Im from LA so i loves ordering late night food for delivery (we dont get that out here besides pizza)

Goodfellas Pizza was great too

Wow.....

thread-necro.jpg

--except that your post was germane and contained valid content. :)

The Vortex should just pile a bunch of burgers and tots into a van and pull up to the Artmore courtyard at around 1am. They'd leave empty. :lol: