Lead tone ala The Ruins of Beverast

Dec 28, 2005
Hey guys, I'm looking for some tips on how to achieve the excellent lead tone that Alexander from The Ruins of Beverast gets (especially on the latest album.) It's prominent starting at ~5:30 in [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlELMIiJjVo&feature=related]this[/ame] song.

I don't have any idea how to attain that, to be perfectly honest, though I'm sure it's some kind of simple EQ/compressor/octaving effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm, it sounded to me like a good tone with automation dragging the cutoff point for a low-pass filter down and up and down and up (and a little octave overtone for good measure, maybe one of those dirty distortion/octave combo pedals, I know Line6 has a couple of models that do the trick well). Not really what I'd call remotely desirable, but different strokes I guess! :loco: However, this next section is pretty evil and awesome (when the vocals came back in). Never heard of these guys, how would you classify them?

black metal that is heavily influenced by funeral doom. alexander was the drummer in german bm band nagelfar as well.

"rain upon the impure" is his best album imo (though none of them are "weak" or "bad"), however the production on it definitely may not be to your liking. it's kind-of like your standard darkthrone/burzum production, but...murkier, I'd say? it's not an album that sinks in on the first listen.