Opeth lead sound

HollowmanPL

May 29, 2008
I was listening to some Opeth recently and I'm really impressed about how do the leads sound.
I know that the best way to achieve this sound is to put Mikael Akerfeldt with PRS and Laney in front of me but I don't have Mikael at the moment :)
The same sound is on the last Bloodbath (Mikael did only vocals, solos were recorded by Anders Nyström I believe)
This lead sound is so amazing. It's like a very soft distortion with some HP filter and tons of delay.
I'm trying to get some similar sound with no result so far :(
Any tips?

cheers

I'd try a nice reverb, and put the mix at around 35% and go from there. Some parallel compression might help as well.

Use a guitar with a good passive neck pickup and play around with reverbs and delays. Apart from that it's all about his playing technique, I talked to Jens Bogren about it and he said that Mikael's playing technique is pretty special. He's one of the best lead guitarists in metal.

Use a guitar with a good passive neck pickup and play around with reverbs and delays. Apart from that it's all about his playing technique, I talked to Jens Bogren about it and he said that Mikael's playing technique is pretty special. He's one of the best lead guitarists in metal.

I agree with all of this, the PRS definitely helps on the leads, go passive and hit those reverbs hard until you find just the right one.

By the way, Mikael does not use PRS pickups, I believe he has some Duncans installed. At least on one of his guitars, but I think he has them on most or all of them.

And yeah, the sound comes mainly from his hands.