Learnin from Iraq

Seen it, awesome.

Did you know that every time the howitzer from the gunship is fired that the recoil displaces the entire aircraft 6 feet? A good friend of mine used to be a gunner on a gunship before he crossed over to our career field and he had some really interesting stories. The Gatling gun on them spits out enough bullets to blanket an entire football field every second.

I've had the pleasure of firing off a few rounds from a 50-cal. rifle. Surprisingly, it has much less recoil than one might expect. A 12-gauge shot gun is far more difficult to handle.

On the other hand, I can't imagine what firing a 1,200 round per min. 50 cal. gatlin is like. Must be absolutely ferocious!!

Jurched

That laser and FLIR targeting on those Gunships = Me. Or at least..when I was in the service.

The Gunships were beasts, very under utilized! 105 howitzer can have one exploding shell hitting the ground and three more out of the barrel on the way.

The gatlin guns are gone now, I dont know which models..U or H..but one has 1 105 and 1 40mm, and the other has a 105 and 2 30mm I think. The gatlin guns were gone by early 2000's i beleive. I was last on Hurlburt Field (only place they are) last July and didnt see em.

The new Gunships are down the ramp..next to an armada of "borrowed" russian aircraft :)

those Gunship are fuckin awesome....that and the a-10 warthogs are two of favorite planes.

you can't scratch the wing pins on an a-10 they are THAT hard.