learning by doing?

LadyCal

Friend of Maurice
Apr 29, 2002
GerHeiEpp
www.enteringeternity.de
Just want to know,how many have started playing guitar without a teacher.Do you prefer learning by doing,by visiting a music school or maybe by videos that have been sent to you by a music school?Or had you some help by friends?

I did. I started alone... Then I took a few lessons, then away I went.

Many years of playing later, I am now back in the room paying a teacher to describe theory so I can understand it.

Once you know how to do something, then decide you want to know how and why something you create works, not accepting the fact that it just works, you got problems...

I really wish I studied theory FIRST, then learned how to play.

Sure I play some really cool and unique stuff at times, but I'm on the quest for knowledge right now.

It's a difficult process at best...

Apart from a few lessons a couple of months after I'd picked it up I am completely self taught, no almost nothing about music theory at all...

technique wise I've changed my hand position about 4 times now, each change taking a month or four, have also changed my picking technique several times as well. best thing I did for my left hand posture was buying a seven string...

Just bloody well wish my parents had taken me seriously when I was 5 about learning guitar. They got me a guitar but did anyone teach me how to play it? bastards...

I was self taught at first then took lessons for about a year to help me pass my music A-level. Learning some theorey is useful but don't get too bogged down with it and loose all the fun of playing.

5 years playing. Never took a lesson. But that's because I could never afford em. I'm dying for lessons. I progress too slowly at times because I have no one to show me how to do certain techniques and stuff. Now trying to teach myself theory. So far it's a pain in the ass, but I plan to have a nice instructor in a few weeks if I get this job to help me along with it

I play for nearly 2 years now, and I didn't take any lessons so far. I think it's not really necessary, but better than learning everything by yourself (it's good to have someone to show you how to do all the stuff correctly).
I think I'll take some lessons, but I don't know when i will do this ;)

I have played for 1 year and 3 months and havn't got lessons...nor am I considering taking them...

Is guitar theory completely seperate from general music theory? Because I understood general music theory before I started playing guitar...

I do not know many correct techniques or whatever, I feel comfortable with what I can do though, I can play most stuff I've come across (excluding most solos ;)) but can see myself having difficulty with playing some harder stuff later on... like that damn carcass riff in "blind bleeding the blind" - the one after the intro riff - grrr...I don't know if that's considered hard but it's harder than most stuff I have heard...I really am rambling on now.:cry:

Interesti, if you've got general music theory, i.e. reading music, chord/scale relationships, etc... then all you need to do is apply it to the guitar.

Scales are scales regardless of what instrument they originate for.

I'd agree though, lessons are a MUST.

I though I would never need them, and if you're happy just being a enthusiast or playing for a hobby, or maybe a band or two, that's fine...

If you want to be a professional musician, and be able to pretty much hop into any situation at a moment's notice, understanding theory in it's application will help you be a more versatile player.

Originally posted by xenophobe
Interesti, if you've got general music theory, i.e. reading music, chord/scale relationships, etc... then all you need to do is apply it to the guitar.

Scales are scales regardless of what instrument they originate for.

Okay, thanks

Been playing for 3 years now, never took a single lesson...sometimes it shows LOL!

I plan on taking lessons very soon, but probably classical guitar. I really want to learn proper finger picking, and if I can learn that, then I should be able to play just about anything. When I can play Classical Gas perfectly, then I'll know to take the next step and apply it to my own music. I'm really really anal about my music. I will literally play until my fingers bleed to make the riff, solo, or song 100% correct. However, I'm starting to realize that substitutions are valuable as well. Adding my own little touch here and there helps alot...it would be nice to play like the best, but they've been playing for 20+ years, and I've been playing for 3. I just keep telling myself to play every single day if possible, and constantly move forward. Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's finished or good, and just because it's hard doesn't mean it's necessary. I feel that if I can play a song right off the bat, that it's below me, and I need to move forward. Every time I play I try to learn or play something new. Teaching yourself sucks sometimes, but it's also good because you can go at your own pace.

I started with lessons, then my instructor moved to the other coast so I spent a few years farting around on my own. Then I was in a guitar shop one day, and the instructor there was on a break, we were being smart asses to each other, and he started pointing out a few bad habits i'd picked up, so I decided to start lessons again. I feel like I pretty much need a one on one lesson every now and again, otherwise i get bad habits (especially in right hand technique.. you don't even want to know how horrible that was). Besides, with someone constantly telling me to learn a scale or mode, i'll learn it, otherwise i just kinda stop caring thinking I'll do it all by ear (good if you can do it, but sometimes you just need to know stuff).

I've been playing for 7 years or so and also never had a lesson. And much like the others have stated, I finally bought a book and am at least learning scales. My problem is that I can't solo worth a crap! I have the ideas, but I hit off key way too much. It's a little strange being able to play stuff like Seek & Destroy and No Remorse all the way through (minus solo's) and now sitting there playing EFGABCDEFG scales over and over, but I think knowledge of scales is going to be key to taking the next step.

Yes, knowledge of your notes, the major scale, and how all the modes work into it, and how scales and chords relate are all necessary keys to learning how to improv solo.

I'm not fully there yet, but I keep realizing things that make sense.

Been playing for about 4 years. A friend of mine showed me some things on his classical guitar, and soon after I bought my own classical. I've never had lessons (unless you count the 1 or 2 riffs my friend taught me).

I don't think anyone is completely self-taught. All guitarists have been playing off some charts/tabs and notes, and we are all listening to music. Believe me, we pick up much more than we realize by just listening.
I am getting lessons in piano and guitar for free in my school (sort of a music school). The lessons I've had has not taught me anything in particular, but the teachers has been there as guides. Most of the work has been my effort, and they are just there to help out. But I've learned to teach myself, and their guidance has been very helpful for that. If you, as an instrumentalist find yourself doing the same old thing over and over again, I recommend you to find a teacher. Or get an instructional item, such as a video or a book.