getting started doing death vocals (or harsh metal vocals in general)

hammer_smashed_face

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2004
yeah , I hardly have any idea how to get started learning to do death growls and screams and shit . If anyone really recalls how they got started , and knew if they were doing it right , please tell me how :loco:

also , just to see if anyone knows enough about death vocals to answer this , here goes: How the HELL do some vocalists (ahem , LORD WORM) produce the unearthly sounds that they do o_O

for example , at about the 3:09 mark in Crown of Horns by Cryptopsy , worm does this crazy little scream , followed by this wicked , weird as hell growl . How do they do stuff like that ? How do they discover them :confused:

and yeah , this is a fucking dumb question to have to ask :D , but would you still be able to do low death growls and stuff if your voice hasn't completely changed yet :oops: ? I figured that perhaps you could , because supposedly you do them mainly from your stomach . Its not like I have a girly high voice or anything :p , but its not ridiculously deep ...would this affect my vocal ability ?

imitate cds, thats how i figured it out. try different sounds and shit. most importantly, dont feel embarassed! you cant half ass it or you wont get a sound out. so pop in a cd, and try to mimic it as loud as you can
~gR~

the volume is the main issue , haha . I really have no clue how to tell if I'm doing it right , but i CAN'T be , because I don't really feel like I'm doing it from my stomach . How can I tell if I'm doing it right ? because from what i've heard ,you can get a good sound even with improper technique , but it'll eventually fuck you over.

when you do it, support from your diaphragm. basically tighten up your abs. that should help you out
~gR~

"basically tighten up your abs"

thank you , i've needed it put simply for a while now , because i'm slow haha . i will try that . but do you really need a deep voice to do them ? i've heard that before.

hammer_smashed_face said:
How can I tell if I'm doing it right ?
I would suggest recording yourself doing it over the computer, or some other method, then playing it back to see how you sound. That's what I do.... and I don't tend to sound right either...