learning by doing?

Well, my teacher isn't instructing me HOW to play, only theory... He want's me to implement it in my own way.

I could just learn flash and lead patterns, but he's encouraging me to find unique stuff on my own...

I'll tell you, after 15+ years of minimal to no instruction, it sure has helped.

I started playing since 3 years without having lessons, just took some overlook at practice books.
I played all day long and as much as i could ever since so i guess i'm good at it now... I've started seriously practicing on early Soilwork stuff this month and it's as hard as i thought a year ago.

Actually, the more you practice on hard technical stuff, the best you get on 'experience' hahaha! (who's calling me jimi hendrix???!!).

I'm self-taught from books. With the huge volume of music theory and practical guitar textbooks available, plus the Internet to fall back on, I think anyone would be well advised to have a go at self-directed study before shelling out on professional tuition.

i have a teacher and have always had one. i learn most techniques/songs on my own.......but i can always ask my teacher questions about certian things and i fully understand most music theory so i can write technical and detailed songs. most people think you can get away without a teacher but its tough :)