Learning the basics of guitar maintenance

Elysian Blaze

The Blade
Aug 1, 2002
Hagerstown, MD
Yes, another silly post. But, it's an important one all the same. I've been playing guitar for nearly two years now, and I can honestly say I know very little about the guitar itself [ie: its workings, terminology, what have you]. I have a Floyd Rose on my guitar that still baffles me to no end. Changing the string tension and, hell, just changing strings is a three-four lesson in futility. I feel stupid for not knowing the basics about my own instrument, but I don't exactly have anyone to ask, either. There are no local shops-- I got the guitar online. I have no one near me who plays who could show the ropes. Basically, what I'm looking for is either a website, or maybe even a book that I could read that show me all the basics about guitar maintenance. Also, something that could define terms such as "action" and what have you. In a nutshell, I want to know all there is to know about the inner workings of my most treasured possession. For the longest time, I was simply playing guitar for something to do. Now that I have my priorities straight, I realize that I want guitar playing to be my life, and I'm ready to learn all there is to learn about it. So, if you guys have any recommendations, send 'em my way. Thanks a bunch, i can always count on you guys for good info.

Well, there's always the internet. Seach for articles online for solutions to stuff that baffles you - for instance "changing strings on a Floyd", "how to adjust the neck", etc. Discussion forums for guitarists are also a good resource to hang around in.

'bane