Legendary 'Thriller' Metal Cover

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Here is something I have worked on for the last few weeks.
It's an metal cover of Micheal Jackson's Thriller. I am proud too say it's pretty good one.

Arrangement and guitars by my man Ulrich Schadeck (http://www.ulrichschadeck.net). Some german mates of us on vocals and bass.

Drums are Superior 2.0 with some slate on the snare and some personal stuff for kick.

Guitars are the axe-fx for all leads and the right rhythm channel. On the left we used guitar rig to add a bit of bite. Guitar was a PRS CE 24 in drop B with 12-60.

Bass is also the Axe-Fx, SVT model IIRC, did a send to Pro Tools' sans amp plugins and mixed both of them. It was a really neat american Fender Jazz Bass. And a really good player.

Vocals are SM7 into -> Pre-73 -> Pro Tools.

I hope you enjoy it! It was a blast to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds pretty good man ! Nothing to critic except the fact that you use guitar rig on the left rhythm channel, sounds strange.

Lower those guitars a lot, drums and bass are barely audible. I think that bass deserves more room, sounds great.

Agree on the guitars, they're too loud. Sounds great even though the drums get buried behind the guitars :)

I love this arrangement, I think the weakest element for me is the Drums though.. it needs more feel and dynamics. If it was me I'd get a good drummer to lay it down.
Other than that, this is great. well done. Guitar and bass Ideas are great, Vocals are rocking.

Thanks for checking it out!
I agree the balance is bit euh... unbalanced.
I spent way too much time on that one. In the end I just focused on the vocals and make sure they work.

Sounds pretty good man ! Nothing to critic except the fact that you use guitar rig on the left rhythm channel, sounds strange.

you mean the sound is strange or it's weird that I did that ?

I love this arrangement, I think the weakest element for me is the Drums though.. it needs more feel and dynamics. If it was me I'd get a good drummer to lay it down.
Other than that, this is great. well done. Guitar and bass Ideas are great, Vocals are rocking.

that's true. but i don't own a drum room. and this is a project done 'for the fun' with some friends without any bugdet. so that's unfortunatly not an option.

what do you think of the mastering ? i am still struggling with mastering.