'Let It Be-Naked'

crystlpalace

nocturnal creature
Sep 30, 2003
lurking in the darkness
This is awesome! Has anyone heard this yet? I heard it on a local radio station the other night. Can't wait to get my hands on it! BTW even if you're not a huge Beatles fan, I strongly suggest this for your listening pleasure!:)

They've been playing it on WLVQ here in Columbogus, Ohio. Great stuff. It seems every holiday some cool Beatle package comes our way. I like it that way :)

P.S. The Bob Seger Greatest Hits II package is another nice holiday set. It has all the hits missing from the first one. Put the two together and you've just about got everything. But nothing compares to "Nine Tonight" and "Live Bullet"

TD said:
They've been playing it on WLVQ here in Columbogus, Ohio. Great stuff. It seems every holiday some cool Beatle package comes our way. I like it that way :)

P.S. The Bob Seger Greatest Hits II package is another nice holiday set. It has all the hits missing from the first one. Put the two together and you've just about got everything. But nothing compares to "Nine Tonight" and "Live Bullet"
...and there are so many others I can think of to ask for, but I should ask St. Nick for a DVD player first.(so we don't always have to watch them on the computer!):D Another one I want is the Killer A's DVD...(I have the video already) I also want a date with Charlie Sheen, but I don't think St. Nick can deliver that! haha

I'm looking forward to this record. My Beatles collection is really lacking. I got Pepper White and Abby and Days night. I got to get the rest, have to add them to the ol Christmas list.

I've had this in bootleg form since high school. As much as I respect Phil Spector, he really fucked this album up. It will be nice to have it on dvd finally. Anyone listen to breakfast with the Beatles?

The Beatles are cool I like early stuff like Love Me Do and Eight Days a Week. Simple but brilliant stuff. They really took great lessons from guys like Buddy Holly.

Jeffasin said:
I've had this in bootleg form since high school. As much as I respect Phil Spector, he really fucked this album up. It will be nice to have it on dvd finally. Anyone listen to breakfast with the Beatles?

I try to catch Breakfast with the Beatles as much as possible.

I had Cocoa Puffs with John Lennon once....

Okay...maybe not...but I'm a big fan of the Beatles since a child. Maybe I'm lost here, but is that the title of a song by the Beatles? "Let it be - Naked" ?

What's that on? A new release of rare stuff??

crystlpalace said:
lol :tickled: My 'friends' will help you move...but sorry, you'll have to use your imagination...
Are you sure? My imagination can be pretty twisted!! Hey, you need to post a pic so I can put a face with the fantasy :p

Devin_Damien said:
I had Cocoa Puffs with John Lennon once....

Okay...maybe not...but I'm a big fan of the Beatles since a child. Maybe I'm lost here, but is that the title of a song by the Beatles? "Let it be - Naked" ?

What's that on? A new release of rare stuff??

They are releasing the song, 'Let It Be', as it was originally recorded. The naked referece it that this version is stripped down.

‘Let It Be'? No thanks, says Paul
By Mark Guarino Daily Herald Music Critic
Posted November 18, 2003

This is not Phil Spector's year.

Not only is he awaiting trial for the shooting death of a waitress in his L.A. mansion, but the producer whose trademark "wall of sound" revolutionized recording techniques in the '60s, has officially been erased by the Beatles.

In 1970, Spector produced "Let It Be," the soundtrack to a Beatles documentary shot one year earlier. Spector cobbled together the Frankenstein album from scraps the band left behind -- by then, all four Beatles were invested in solo careers. What he turned in was half documentary fragments (studio applause, chitchat) and half lavish production numbers layered in orchestra and choir.

Paul McCartney hated it. Thirty-three years later, he strikes back. In stores today, "Let It Be…Naked" (Capitol) is his attempt to set things straight. The streamlined new album lops off Spector's orchestrations and maneuvers to present the trim, concise album that never was.

Makes sense considering the entire "Let It Be" exercise was fueled by McCartney's desire to make the Beatles get away from studio overdubbing and rediscover their strengths as a live band. When it was recorded in January 1969, the band hadn't played a concert stage in almost three years. They relegated themselves indoors where they raised studio production to a high art.

20031118_dh_l1_1_14_sc925502.jpg
However well intentioned, "Let It Be" was doomed from the start. Although a film crew camped out to capture the band in process -- from the songwriting to recording first takes, the Beatles were growing irritable. They had grown apart as individual songwriters and the prospect of staying in a band -- with McCartney the most interested in corralling together -- was becoming less and less appealing.

The project may have failed to re-energize the band to soldier on into the next decade together, but the performances survive as some of their best.

The recent overhaul is appealing mainly for its enhanced sound. The background noise is eliminated and songs have been mixed down to the barest takes possible. Savvy listeners will notice the alternate takes used. Most of what was overdubbed -- such as Harrison's guitar solo on the title song -- were replaced by what was originally there, which is revealed to be more exciting and raw. Stripped-down rooftop performances of songs like "I've Got a Feeling" reveal the Beatles to be a tight, rocking band.

Also reconfigured is a more seamless song order that dumps filler like the "Dig It" jam and the sailor's chantey "Maggie Mae." Most noticeable are the new, visceral versions of "The Long and Winding Road," "Across the Universe" and the title song, benefiting from the elimination of orchestra and choir. In its new incarnation, "Across the Universe" features simply John Lennon's vocal and guitar -- the heavy-handed percussion and celestial choir give it space and more warmth.

The package includes a second disc of studio chatter. All four personalities emerge in conversations as they reminisce about the past, joke around, trade riffs and debate what's best for the future. It's a fascinating chance to eavesdrop in that moment of time when the band was teetering on the edge between staying or going.

"The things that worked out best ever for us haven't really been planned any more than this," Harrison said. "You just go into something and it does it itself. Whatever it's going to be, it becomes that."

George Harrison quit only to return days later. They switched studios, played a rooftop concert but ended up abandoning the back-to-basics project to go make "Abbey Road" -- another ornate studio effort.

Metal Maiden said:
They are releasing the song, 'Let It Be', as it was originally recorded. The naked referece it that this version is stripped down.
Maiden, you take the fun from everything... :erk:

I ain't even heard the damn thing yet and I'm buying it. It's the way it was always supposed to sound. Actually, my local classic rock radio station has been playing the original version for years and I wondered where they got it. Probly a bootleg or something.

The one you heard, Crystl, did it have a guitar solo or that dumbass organ solo that ruins the song? Cuz the one my radio station has is the guitar-solo version, and it kicks major ass. I hope that's the one on the rerelease. I'll be pissed if it ain't.

Fade to Green said:
I ain't even heard the damn thing yet and I'm buying it. It's the way it was always supposed to sound. Actually, my local classic rock radio station has been playing the original version for years and I wondered where they got it. Probly a bootleg or something.

The one you heard, Crystl, did it have a guitar solo or that dumbass organ solo that ruins the song? Cuz the one my radio station has is the guitar-solo version, and it kicks major ass. I hope that's the one on the rerelease. I'll be pissed if it ain't.
It was the guitar solo. And I was like, 'holy damn! I need this' That's the one, baby! Its gonna be in my carousel right next to WCFYA!