Lets talk 4x12 Cabs!

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So as most of you have seen and messaged me about I am getting rid of my beloved 71' vintage Marshall Cab. I am in the market for something new as this cab is just not cutting it tone wise for me.

I have been a Marshall cab guy for 20 years and I think its time I looked to something different. Once the Marshall is sold I will be dumping the cash into another cab.

As for the sound I am going for. I really love the sounds andy gets out of his work (thats why I am here). I know he uses a variety of cab / mic combinations to get those killer tones.

What I am looking for is the one go to cab thats really going to bring my 5150 to life. I have looked at Mesa, Marshall, Orange, and Krank, and I am really looking toward something v30 loaded of course.

For those of you 5150 users out there what do you like and why? I am trying to get some opinions before I jump in and buy something I may not like.

I hear the Mesa's and Orange can be low end heavy. The marshalls seem to be just right in the low end but a little bright in some people opinions.

Whats your Go To cab for live / recording. If its different please tell me why.

I used to have a Peavey 5150 cab w sheffields..UGGH! Not for me......On the other hand had a MESA Rectifier Cab and LOVED it!

I used to use a Peavey 412MS with Scheffield speakers until I upgraded to my Marshall 1960A cab. What a difference it was.

The cab I am looking for now is an Engl loaded with V30s, but this cab sounds absolutely amazing with the 5150 and a Maxon boost. I have not had a chance to try out a Mesa cab with it however.

The engl PRo is for sure darker and tighter then the MEsa boogie rectifier 4x12. The Engl pro has a slight Maxon OD808 feeling to it.
heck out my mix on Scene for Jedi, 90% 5150 through Engl Pro cab.

Orange-PPC412-Speaker-Cab.jpg

HAHAHHAHA ... If I didn't live in an apartment and had the tools I would in a second. Love wood working, just not when you don't have your own house to do it in.
DUDE..even with a house its a pain in the ass! Who the F wants to be Tim Allen Jr?

I think I am actually going for an Avatar there is one on the local CL for $180!

2x v30s so I don't have to sell the Marshall. I may just wire up all 4 (the 2 that are in there) and the 2 v30s and live happily ever after :)

ill pick up another set of v30s later on and complete the quad in the Marshall. That will at least get me closer to what I want :)

I appreciate all your input guys!!

I think I am actually going for an Avatar there is one on the local CL for $180!

2x v30s so I don't have to sell the Marshall. I may just wire up all 4 (the 2 that are in there) and the 2 v30s and live happily ever after :)

ill pick up another set of v30s later on and complete the quad in the Marshall. That will at least get me closer to what I want :)

I appreciate all your input guys!!

Well that is a poor choice man. I have 3 different cabs all loaded with vintage 30's. And they all sound so different. The engl and the Mesa sounds good in its own way. But the budget cab (harley benton) sounds boxy and is useless for recordings. That did prove to me how much the quality of the box itself affects the sound. So save the money and buy a class A cab.

just my 0.02