Let's talk pickups

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Ok, so i seem to remember hearing that Chris use to play with a JB in the bridge. This a route that I will take in the near future. What I've noticed about the JB compared to other SD's is that even with it's high gain output, it still sounds clean and defined, not fuzzy. Does anyone know why this is?

Are there any other passive pickups that have the same cleanliness?

Ok, so i seem to remember hearing that Chris use to play with a JB in the bridge. This a route that I will take in the near future. What I've noticed about the JB compared to other SD's is that even with it's high gain output, it still sounds clean and defined, not fuzzy. Does anyone know why this is?

Are there any other passive pickups that have the same cleanliness?

Hey Nebulous,

I have used the JB and its a good all around pickup, but if I had to pick a fav SD bridge pickup it would definitly be the Duncan Custom!!! It has a mid punch to it that I like.

Chris.

Hehe, iroically, I have the Custom in my guitar at the moment. It came stock with it. I don't mind it, and I definately understand the mid punch you're talking about.
I really like what I'm hearing of the JB. It's just so clean, and sounds as though it allows the tone shaping at the amp, rather than forcing it's voicing onto the amp.
How do you find the Barenuckles to the SD's? I understand that you had a set modified for your own tastes, you had the magnet changed IIRC. What change did this make to the pickup's character?