Let's talk triggers

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
I'm having issues with my drummer's Ddrum kick trigger in a live situation, inasmuch that it's not firing any more. It worked fine for a few shows, but the sensor has now become largely unresponsive. It might trigger a sample every now and then but it's really inconsistent, no matter the sensitivity settings on the module (Alesis DM5, which I'm very familiar with, and have tried everything on that end)

Rather than getting it fixed, I'd like to try something else, as it's battered to fuck any way (it came free with the module second-hand, and was in a sorry state when it arrived, I've had to resolder it twice!)

I've used the Roland ones before with great success so that might be what I go for, but does anybody recommend anything else? Maybe just get a new DDrum one?

I quite like the idea of the pad type, that stick to the head and have a 1/4" jack coming off them, like this. Anybody had any experience with those?

What do you guys use, and what are your experiences with them?

I've fixed three od my ddrum triggers with piezos. The fix works just fine. You can control the sensitivitt by clipping a piece of the piezo off eit scissors. I actually now use a piezo soldered to a xrl-cable on my bass drum since my triggers aren't with me at the moment. A tad toi sensitive but i can't be assed to clip it now.

I've used the drumdial ones that look similar to the one you've linked, really solidly build though the transient isn't as sharp as it is with the ddrum. I got some of the ddrum chrome elite's recently and they've been good so far.

I'll second the drumdial ones. The way I see it I got a 10 pack of those things for $100 off Ebay, if they break ill just use one of the spares. I did a recording a year or so back with them, I used Slate Trigger and they worked just fine, they still all work too.

I had a full set of DDrums die.
Got Rolands a few years ago for kick and snare and they are still going strong.
I have a few spare cheap transducers from Maplins for the ddrum tom triggers and replace them when needed.

Highly recommend the rolands