Taking the drumset back, new input needed.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
So after more dicking around I got it so it triggers acceptably out of the module (witch has un usable samples). However midi is still a nightmare. I am done fucking with it, taking it back on monday.

So new question: is this worth it:

eBay: NEW ALESIS DM5 DIGITAL DRUM module w DdRUM TRIGGER SET (item 200053629055 end time Dec-10-06 05:32:23 PST)

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a firepod and some mics. This leaves me without a set but I still have a cheapo trigger system that worked in the past (I just didn't want to be limited to that with bands).

I realize that initally I would still be un able to record drums, but aquiring mics at a slow rate is ok.

I don't like my DM5, I just run DDrum trigs (the Red ones) straight into the preamp. You'll wanna check those out, when you get an acoustic kit.

Can you exsplain this more? Do you gog the hits? Or do the triggers actually produce a miced like sound or just hits to gog later?

BTW I think I am just gonna go with more inputs + mics.

How do you get midi hits from these?

Triggers can be used two different ways for inputs. One way obviously being into a drum module like a Roland TD-XX or an Alesis DM-5. The other way is you can run the trigger directly into a preamp and record the blips it makes, which will be just peaks. You can then run KTDrumTrigger or Drumagog on those blips (KTDT being the way to produce MIDI with the least use of resources, later running the MIDI into DFHS...or into Drumagog, whatever....and Drumagog being the most resource intense if you generate MIDI data or just replace the blips with samples).

It's funny you are having such a nightmare (no offense) with your kit you got. The cheapy Hart one I got works perfectly fine with the DM-5 module. It took me a matter of about 5 minutes to set up the pads on the DM-5 to control any cross-talking...now it's perfect. I've had three different drummers come over and jam on it to purposefully test out the pads and cross-talking. One was a very light hitter, I wanted to see how much I would have to adjust. The 2nd guy was the middle-ground player, consistent, varied his playing velocity according to the style of the beats and the music I was playing for him to jam to. The 3rd guy was one of those "HULK SMASHHHH" drummers. Amazingly any mis-triggering was only registering at like 1 and 2 on the velocity so you couldn't even hear it amongst everything else he was playing. Nevertheless it was incredibly easy to clean up all of the blue dots on the editor in Cubase that were among the tons of red dots.

I think you should really spend just a *little* more time with it and see if you can get it closer to what you are wanting. If the cheap set I have works perfectly fine, I would think the one you got would work as well.

Also, I know the Red Shot triggers *can* work "decently", but it's not that much more for the Pro Series triggers...and the perfomance is like night and day in comparison. You can get 1 kick, 3 toms, and a snare Pro Series trigger for $200 just about anywhere, even cheaper at some places.

~e.a

Seriously I have dicked with the crosstalk about as much as I can stand. The module is not as nice as the DM5 so I don't forsee it ever giving up. I would be able to tollerate a little cross talk, but we are talking alot in my case (way more than can be tolerated). I don't have enough inputs to run all the triggers into a module at this time. I am spending one more day fucking with it then it goes back (if I can't get it).