Let's Talk UAD

Nauru

Nov 1, 2009
So i'm looking into getting a UAD card, mostly because I have heard great things about their 1176 plug-in. The only other plugin I really want is Nigel, cause I've heard that's pretty useful for a variety of things as well. Looking at the selection of cards, It seems I would only really need a UAD solo for this, but if i'm gonna buy, I wanna buy smart. So anyone out there with UAD card experience, please chime in, lemme know which plug ins are really worth having!

Having used the ua for about 5 years. I prefer The CLA76, reacts more like the hardware 1176 i have here.

If you are focused 1176/LA2A, i'd suggest waves. The UAD versions are REALLY old, and waves have surpassed those.

But i really dig some other uad stuff like the VCA VU or EMT 140, great plugins.

Yup, if you wanna use nigel you have to buy the old 1 card, which is a little bit senseless(atleast here in Germany) if you compare used prices with capacity.
truth be told I haven't used the nigel ever. Dunno what to do with this plug, so far.

Imo it doesn't pay off to buy Uad just for 1176. But, as mentioned, they have pretty cool plugs anyway.

UAD for a while there was the only one that came anywhere close to hardware. But yeah for just the 1176, look at others.

I wouldn't go with a solo or UAD-1 card for Nigel. The plug count is just way too low and some of the newer ones won't even run. Even the UAD-2 single has way more capacity. It was a sweet deal when UAD was blowing out the UAD-1's at $99 with a $100 voucher though.

I don't own a card, but a fellow studio does. Stuff I have used and liked, the Neve bundle, SSL. 88RS is a great go-to channel strip. The Plate 140 is sweet. Fatso is awesome. I assume the Manly is too. The new low-latency mode is sweet, so can track or monitor with them.

They constantly are doing deals too. But they are VERY expensive, and are they that much better. Ie. the Precision limiter is $199, how much better is it than the T-RackS limiter or Voxengo's Elephant. Or the Pultec. I have Liquid MIx too, which covers a ton of ground. So the price is scary. Sometimes I think just for the 88RS, Plate 140, and fatso, the price of admission might be worth it.

EDIT: Nigel sounded good, but is probably pretty dated now. When I used it, it was on par with sims of the time. Line 6 and Behringer V-Amp and Boss's early COSM and such. But got owned by Johnson J-Station and the Vox Tonelab shortly after. Nowadays, with Revalver, Amplitube, Softube, Guitar Rig, and all the Free VST's and Impulse/Convolution cabinets, I am not sure how Nigel would hold up.

i own the CLa's and im still saving up for a UAD card...i guess you should have both...

the CLA black 1176 is good on pretty much everything but it's not giving me enough grit on vocals like the real unit...so i looking forward to that,

also i liked their pultecs better than the Bomb Factory one. And to add to all that, i wont suck your CPU usage...so yeah, if you can get both. I would recommend getting the waves first though.

i don´t have the waves plugs but uad is a killer - old or not. ( the original urei 1176 is old, too...;))
i have 4 uad-1 cards and use nearly only those plugs for mixing (cambridge eq, la2a,1176, neve 88rs and ssl bundle). the precision limiter is something i never used. can´t remember why i bought it. the best limiter for me still is the free one somebody posted here ages ago (think it was antress or something?!?). every other limiter i used killed the snare.

i own the CLa's and im still saving up for a UAD card...i guess you should have both...

the CLA black 1176 is good on pretty much everything but it's not giving me enough grit on vocals like the real unit...so i looking forward to that,

also i liked their pultecs better than the Bomb Factory one. And to add to all that, i wont suck your CPU usage...so yeah, if you can get both. I would recommend getting the waves first though.

I dont think the uad emulations have more distortion. I think they have less in fact. But this is based on reading, not experience.

The preflex section of nigel could also be used as somewhat of an analog input simulator, and can sound pretty sweet on some stuff as far as I've heard. I've not talking about really using it for guitars. But I didn't know it was only supported by the older cards, if it's outdated, it's outdated.

I've still heard some good things about the 1176 from them, but you guys seem to like the waves one, which I haven't heard much about.
Any other good ones out there?

UAD 1176 kills on vox! the 88RS is great on drums and guitars. I bought the UAD-2 DUO NEVE awile back and love it. just wish i had the cash to buy all the other UAD plugs i want. FFFUUUU

Just buy yourself a used UAD-1 Mackie card. You can pick one up for $150 and it has 1176LN and LA2 added in so you don't have to buy them separately.

I'm actually thinking about selling my UAD-1 Mackie card in order to fund the purchase of a UAD-2 Solo.

As for plugins that are good on the UAD, well there's the Pultec and Pultec Pro which I always use. People complain that it gives a volume boost to the track so it sounds "better" right away without any changes to the EQ, but that is what the real Pultec does too. I think UA does a good job of emulating the real thing as much as possible.

There's also the overlooked EMT140 which still might be the best ITB plate reverb available. Other plugins I use regularly are the UAD 4K compressor which I think is just as good as the Cytomic Glue compressor, and Nigel I use for the phaser/flanger/chorus effects more than anything.

my uad duo always runs into 100 % cpu usage, because i just loove these plugins. have all of them except for manley massive passive and the new neve plugin. i will get the passive
soon, i demoed that thing and hands down it is the greatest plugin i have ever tried out.
my favorite plugins are : harrisson 32 (for high end eqing), 1176 + LA2A (vocal chain), spl transient designer (holy shit, i couldnt live without that thing) and ssl 4k channelstrip (for almost everything...)
also for mastering the maximizer is very effective.

defininately a huge + 1 for the uad stuff