Levels

stiffy0000

Oct 20, 2005
So new to recording and have some questions. Ive got about 5 Volumes to deal with. Guitar volume (which I thought was always full blast) Acid music master volume, POD XT volume, and the Track Volumes. Can anyone give me an idea of how to set these for a nice clear sound. Seems that I cant turn the POD volume to high or it tops itself off. I just cant ever get it right. IDEAS PLEASE! :hotjump:

What recording software are you using? In general, get the highest levels recorded to disk that you can (without clipping distortion) and then use your mix faders to set your levels after that.

I have no idea how to give you specific mix advice without hearing your mix though. :)

Im using ACID 5.0 . So get the most volume possible without clipping and then use track volumes after its recorded? I guess Im having these questions because Im not turning the POD up past 3. Its way to fuzzed if I do. Feel like Im doing something wrong. Thanks for trying to help me out though. Im very very new to this and im trying to take this step by step. Levels were important starting point I thought. Unfortunatly I think my question is to vage because not many people are answering me anywhere I go.

So Now I understand that I should turn the track and acid volume to 0. Then blast the POD. Sound right?

Are you recording by going into your stock PC sound card or something? I don't recommend this, for anything. Use the USB output of your POD XT. Go to Line6.com and download the USB audio driver if you haven't already, and download associated Line 6 software, as it will generally make your life easier.

Check your input, make sure you are goint to the LINE in and not the MIC in on your sound card. If you are using the MIC (if you dont have a line in like on my laptop) Make sure in your advanced soundcard settings you DONT have the +20db box checked.

Sounds to me like the level going into your PC is WAYYY too hott. Turn the pod up just enough so when your chunking on the low strings it doesnt clip. Then record your tracks.

Da Fukn Guru

I turned the Onput on the POD to MAX, cut back my guitar volume just a hair , and used the PODs Channel Volume to make sure it doesnt clip. Got a better sound of course but do need a few more adjustments. You guys helped me thanks. I got the POD off ebay and and it didnt come with a manuel so its a little difficult to start out especially when you are completley new to this. I am however amazed at the quality sound you get from the POD.

guitarguru777 said:
Check your input, make sure you are goint to the LINE in and not the MIC in on your sound card. If you are using the MIC (if you dont have a line in like on my laptop) Make sure in your advanced soundcard settings you DONT have the +20db box checked.

Sounds to me like the level going into your PC is WAYYY too hott. Turn the pod up just enough so when your chunking on the low strings it doesnt clip. Then record your tracks.

Da Fukn Guru

Yes I am going into my computer where my mic input is. Obviously this isnt good. I will try your suggestion

stiffy0000 said:
I turned the Onput on the POD to MAX, cut back my guitar volume just a hair , and used the PODs Channel Volume to make sure it doesnt clip. Got a better sound of course but do need a few more adjustments. You guys helped me thanks. I got the POD off ebay and and it didnt come with a manuel so its a little difficult to start out especially when you are completley new to this. I am however amazed at the quality sound you get from the POD.

do it the other around, use the channel volume up high and then the output to set the volume

Yeah I tested that theory and I get a buzz/humm sound when I do that. No matter how low I turn the output. Its like the Channel is to much. Could be cause Im using a mic input? I dont know what is making that happen but yes I thought about that. Is that the way it should be done?

"Yes I am going into my computer where my mic input is"
that's your problem right there. use the line level input!

as far as volumes go....line 6 says the output level should be as high as possible, controlling the volume using the channel volumes. this provides the best noise to signal ratio

Fragle said:
"Yes I am going into my computer where my mic input is"
that's your problem right there. use the line level input!

as far as volumes go....line 6 says the output level should be as high as possible, controlling the volume using the channel volumes. this provides the best noise to signal ratio

AH HA!! So now we have two different opinions. However, Fragle, thats exactly how I did it and like I said before it sounds better. So maybe switching the computer inputs and buying new chords is all I need. Plus a little more experience Im sure. This is great though thanks everyone. Im sure Ill be having more and more questions as I go on.