Reaper question - playback volume too low...

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hi Everyone,

I’m having a few issues with volume levels in my playback after recording a track in Reaper.

Here’s my setup:
Mic’d Cab using an SM57 into my Presonus USB audio box direct into my computer. I’m using the most current version of Reaper, ASIO drivers, etc.

Details of the issue:
Before recording, all levels are loud enough and balanced out nicely. It sounds great. But when I’m done recording and I playback, the volume is really low. I tried using the master mixer to turn up the volume for the track, but it starts clipping and gets very crackly and distorted and starts jumping into the red.

Is there something I’m missing? I know it’s not the volume set on my headphones, computer, or audiobox. Because before I even record, my line-in is at the right volume level that I want and everything sounds great. It’s just after I record that the playback volume is super low.
Is there a setting in Reaper that I should try tweaking?

I know this may be a simple fix; so if it is, I apologize in advance for being a complete nub. If this has been posted a thousand times, would you mind helping me find the page to solve this issue? I’ve tried searching the site through google to find an answer, but most of the answers I find are irrelevant.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

I think your problem lies in where you have your playback/mix knob at on the Audiobox.

Well, I thought that might be the case too, but that doesn't make a difference.

I'm using Toontrack's EZ Drummer through Reaper, and the playback of my Drums sounds fine, and I make sure my input is the same level as the volume of my drum track.... but when I playback my recorded guitar track, the drums are louder than the guitar track I just recorded. Does that make sense? Sorry for the run-on sentence :lol:

Well, I thought that might be the case too, but that doesn't make a difference.

I'm using Toontrack's EZ Drummer through Reaper, and the playback of my Drums sounds fine, and I make sure my input is the same level as the volume of my drum track.... but when I playback my recorded guitar track, the drums are louder than the guitar track I just recorded. Does that make sense? Sorry for the run-on sentence :lol:

Have you tried adjusting the level of your faders for your guitar tracks?
:(

I'd say that you're probably hearing your monitor signal, as well as the signal in Reaper... and thus it appears to be lower in volume in Reaper when you playback. Are you monitoring through your soundcards mixer as well as the Reaper track?

Ok, weirdest thing... I plugged in last night just as normal and everything sounded just fine. Idk what the hell happened the other night to cause my volume issues.

Although, now when I start recording, it starts recording late. For example, I hit record, start playing, but when I playback, I notice that it didnt start recording for a while and I lost the first 5-10 seconds of my playing. wtf?
Man, i'm having lots of little glitches with Reaper I think. I'm not a complete n00b and i'm not a moron. I restart Reaper, and it works fine for the first 2 takes, and then it glitches again. Any suggestions to that problem now?
What would you Reaper users recommend for the recommended bitrate, frequency hertz latency etc?

Ok, weirdest thing... I plugged in last night just as normal and everything sounded just fine. Idk what the hell happened the other night to cause my volume issues.

Although, now when I start recording, it starts recording late. For example, I hit record, start playing, but when I playback, I notice that it didnt start recording for a while and I lost the first 5-10 seconds of my playing. wtf?
Man, i'm having lots of little glitches with Reaper I think. I'm not a complete n00b and i'm not a moron. I restart Reaper, and it works fine for the first 2 takes, and then it glitches again. Any suggestions to that problem now?
What would you Reaper users recommend for the recommended bitrate, frequency hertz latency etc?

No offense but don't you think you would get a better response on the Reaper forums?

No offense but don't you think you would get a better response on the Reaper forums?

No worries. No offense taken. I just figured since there were so many Reaper users on this forum someone could help me out. I haven't gotten a response yet on the Reaper forum.