Levels?

Redoubt9000

Oct 21, 2011
Am I on the right track? Toms do kinda reach out, snare may be loud but I'm comfortable with it. I suddenly got the notion that perhaps my mixes are fairly unbalanced in terms of levels, and wondered if anyone notices anything obscenely out of place.

Also a rough master for the second clip above, although it's a bit too bright to me atm.
But I'm more concerned with everyone's opinion concerning the balance of everything?? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the lack of posts means that I'm more or less in the ballpark in terms of the balance of everything?

I am on consumer grade headphones, but yeah, it's not too bad I would say ! I would time at relatively cleaner tones, the lows seem a tiny bit too high though, bass seems to be overpowering the mix IMO. I would remove a bit of snizzle on the snare, find a way to make it "pop" more. It's on the right track !

Hey there and thanks! ^_^

Here's an update ;)

I went about dropping the bass in level a few dbs, things started to breathe a bit easier now. Snare doesn't sound quite as clouded now as a result. I quickened the attack on the snare buss compression and it appears to have found its place. Dropped its bottom mic down a bit and it 'pops' a bit more, helps that there's a shorter trail off on that sizzle too :) I see that these are the little details that I've been failing to pick up on for a while now...

The guitars seem to have a bit too much 'scratchy dj' noise going on during the pick attack. I'll reamp and touch the gain down some later (loving this kemper now...) :D

In the past I likely would have never noticed such details. I guess at the time I was more preoccupied with just trying to get nice, musical sound from the get go rather than having everything work in concert to one another :rofl: Helps that I'm working with better sources now! Hope to hear more from you guys.

^I was concerned about that as well, wasn't sure if it was best to smash it on the master or not.

I went about dropping it a bit, and also slowed the release on the snare buss compression to rid it of that extra sizzle. Sounds better now running through the master chain I think :)

Shaved a bit more on the hi/lo passes for the guitars. I did reamp them earlier but I'll have to play around a bit more on the profile I'm using to find what I like. So scratchy dj noise is back for now...

Sorry gonna have to wait till I reach a desktop, mobile site and app isn't allowing me to edit the clip.

Began to hate how thin and bright the guitars were. Also kinda missed the Bass guitar some. Not loving the snare...

Went about recording again, although it's much sloppier. Tracked some vocals too : /
Much more loose sound lol