Lexicon USB Alpha or M-Audio Fast Track

David Thangjam

New Metal Member
Feb 12, 2013
Guys, I've Been Planning To Buy and Audio Interface For Recording Guitar,Bass and Vocals. Should I Buy M-Audio Fast Track or Lexicon USB Alpha. Please Help

Uhh, judging by the $60 pricetag of the Lexicon, I'd steer away from that.

I own the Fast Track Pro and have no complaints at all. A bit more expensive, but it's still just an entry-level/beginners interface.

I had a M-Audio FireWire device which fucked out on me.
And I am on my third M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, as the other two had to be sent back due to defects.
M-Audio is a fucking nightmare IMO. However, they do sound alright though.
Be patient and save up for something better unless you have money to keep buying new devices

The lexicon is probably shit if its $60 lolz

I had a M-Audio FireWire device which fucked out on me.
And I am on my third M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, as the other two had to be sent back due to defects.
M-Audio is a fucking nightmare IMO. However, they do sound alright though.
Be patient and save up for something better unless you have money to keep buying new devices

The lexicon is probably shit if its $60 lolz
That's odd. I have the FTP and Profire 2626 and neither of them have ever given me any issues aside from "sample rate not recognized by interface" error once in a while, in which case it's just because I have Chrome open along with my DAW and it causes some conflict, where I just close out of Chrome and everything is fine.

The profire is a higher end product, so it is probably OK. It's not odd when you are on your 4th device.
IMHO To have a conflict with Chrome is enough to show that their devices are shit lolz. Google: "Fast Track issues"
You will see what I mean, there is youtube videos of people showing that their devices are fucked.
M-Audio's support forum is full of people stressing not to buy their products, their device had to be taken back, blah blah, etc, etc.
Your one of the lucky ones IMO. TBH the fast track ultra I have now is fucked too. It is making a constant popping noise when the instrument input level is low
Trust me, I have tried to troubleshoot almost every possible solution and it is still doing it. Fucking waste of money bro
Time to get a 5th device, this time no M-Audio for me
Like I said earlier, the sound quality is definitely decent enough though

There's a Roland Tri-Capture on eBay for 109. That or the Mackie Onyx Blackjack are the cheapest ones I see that won't make you throw the thing against a wall.

Stay away from cheap interfaces like the Lexicon, make sure they have a Hi-Z input (1M input) so you can plug your bass or guitar straight into the device without the need for a DI box (though a good DI box would most likely improve your sound)

why not a line6 toneport? or studiopod or whatever they call it now. I have one and for the price does a good job.

I use Toneports, I have one on each computer so my son and I can work on projects together on separate computers (Or I will multitask & work on both). They're only like $50 used. For how cheap they are, they are great. I've had good sound out of these & remember dealing with a lot of glitches in some of the semi high end cards like Echo Mia/Gina (but once you get them ironed out those are good). The Toneport seems to do better on latency and sound than the MBox did lol...but you got one Hi Z input and 1/8" out on the GX models (that's all I'm using right now/I'm going CHEAP lol). DIs seem to be good enough, and I think you really need an active box or decent preamp (not included in cheaper interfaces) anyway to get solid DI that isn't plastic/better to just have no preamp.