Budget gear to record vocals... recommendations?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
hey!

Well, as the title suggests, I'm looking for some new gear to record some vocals for my clips... Right now I'm using a POD xt for my guitars and bass and it's working quite well, but I have nothing to record vocals... I have tried to record them using my computer's built-in mic, but you might imagine how unprofessional that sounds... sooooo thin and the mic has sooo little headroom...

I'm seeking for something that gives my voice enought bigness and gives it a warm kinda tone...

so far I'm thinking on getting either a Shure SM 57 or 58... I've tried recording with a 57 and I liked the results, but I'm thinking the 58 might be a tad better because it's more intended for vocals...

as far as interfaces, right now I'm looking at an M-Audio fast track or a Lexicon Alpha... I want something simple that gets the job done decently and that's not too hard on the wallet... what do you think of these?

I'd like to hear you guys' opinion on the gear I'm looking at, or, if you'd like to suggest something else, please do...

thanks! :)

yes, I'm looking at something around $100-150... I don't wanna spend too much, but I'm looking for something that sounds good...

I've been told that SM 57's or 58's might not be ideal for studio use, that I might as well get a cheap condenser mic... anybody has any input on this? I was thinking dynamic 57 or 58 or even Beta 57 because of the warmer/middier response they have, since what I'm after is thick/warmer sounding vocals, for both screams and singing...

yes, I'm looking at something around $100-150... I don't wanna spend too much, but I'm looking for something that sounds good...

I've been told that SM 57's or 58's might not be ideal for studio use, that I might as well get a cheap condenser mic... anybody has any input on this? I was thinking dynamic 57 or 58 or even Beta 57 because of the warmer/middier response they have, since what I'm after is thick/warmer sounding vocals, for both screams and singing...

Well, sm57/58 is not that warm, if you want a warm sound, you should definitly get a condenser mic.
I dont know specific brands that are good, but im sure that there is someone else here that can point you to one! :)

you think condenser would be a better bet, then?

I'm thinking maybe this AKG Perception 100 or maybe 200?

Audio Technica AT3035 would be my vote (you can find 'em cheaper on ebay, or see if Sweetwater/Guitar Center will give you a good deal on one, cuz they usually do if you just ask)

I use a SM58 all the time and it always sounds great to me. A SM7 is great too. Cheap condensors always sound way too trashy/harsh for me but a good condensor is usually easier to deal with than dynamic mics for someone new to the game.

I'd have to agree, I'm still new to all this and a few weeks ago we were reocrding vocals and we used a 57 and then a cheap condensor, bout €100 and we felt the condensor was a much clearer sound. I havent much experience but on first impressions thats what I found from the two mics.

I have a AT2020 I got for free thats a passable vocal condenser..Also a cheap mxl v67 is a pretty good cheap condenser... You don't have to use a condenser..Sometimes a 57/58 will work better than those depending on the singer. Dave Jerden and Terry Date have used the 58 allot in the past for studio tracks.

maybe a cheap compressor /limiter to avoid the track spiking on the way in could help as well

Dude the SM58 is a good all rounder I find. It will certainly be a big improvement to what your doing now. I've heard of top artists who used SM58 to record their guide vocals and often found them better than the final takes and ended up using them on the finised product, so go for it and it won't cost you a bundle. I even prefer them to my neumanns.

The CAD M179 is an awesome cheap condenser - slightly more than your budget, but it's worth the extra cash. I was recommended it on this very forum, and it was a great purchase.

Like someone said though, plenty of people use 57/58s in pro studios. I read somewhere that the Deftones used to do all their vocals with a 58, with Chino holding it too (that was with Terry Date producing, like someone mentioned ^up there^).

Steve