Budget amp recommendations

ze kink

THE BLACK WIZARDS
Yeah, sold my Jazz Chorus 80, and I'm now looking for a different amp that can do metal too. I'd mostly be using it for band practice, but I'd also be reamping with it, since I've now got a Redeye too. The thing is, I mainly play Post-Rock and use quite a few pedals (with more to come), so I'd need some cleans too, thus 2 channels would be preferred. I'm fine with a clean that's a bit meh, I just need it because dirt pedals (I mean pedals like my OCD and Muff) on top of a distorted amp mostly sound like complete mess. And to complicate it more, I need to do metal with the amp too, since I cannot afford to own two amps :erk:

Peavey Windsor seems good otherwise, but can it do clean? I've heard some say that it can, and some say it can't, so I'm sort of confused.

Yeah, that, and my price range sucks, I only have around €400, and I need to get a cab too (most likely a used Harley Benton 2x12" with V30's). The cab isn't a must though, if I see a good deal on a head that seems like what I'm after, I'll just borrow a cab for a while or something. Oh, and I'll be buying used.

So, what would be your recommendations?

The Peavey Windsor sounds REALLY REALLY good, just got done playing one actually. I had no problem going from clean to metal on the same channel with the volume knob, though it isn't "clean clean", it's "slightly dirty clean". Of course, turning the boost pedal off fixed that... But the tone of the amp is quite good, even stock, and I can imagine it only gets better with modding.

To bad you don't live in Kentucky, some guy has one for sale on Craigslist for $150 now. If I wasn't so broke I'd snatch it up.

I don't think 5w is enough for band practice, especially in the metal band I play in; our drummer hits REALLY hard too. And with really hard, I mean he always hits the drums in the center with really solid hits, and never breaks any cymbals or heads, just drumsticks. That's offtopic though, it's just so fucking great to play with a drummer who is as tight as he is :lol:

I have a Peavy Classic. Sweet amp!!
I use this amp for smaller gigs with my (Melodic Death) metal band. It works very well with pedals.

I have a Peavy Classic. Sweet amp!!
I use this amp for smaller gigs with my (Melodic Death) metal band. It works very well with pedals.

My first "real" amp after my horrible practice amp was a Peavey Classic 30. Honestly, I wouldn't want to get another, it was pretty meh. And I wouldn't want to record any heavier stuff with one either.

Damn, the Orange Dual Terror would be awesome, but they're not on sale yet, and apparently all of the first shipments have already been bought/reserved :erk: I had a TT some time ago and really liked it, and I'm familiar with the tone and how it records.

Has to be an analog amp or open to suggestion to modeling stuff?

I'm open to any recommendations, though I wouldn't want to get another Pod. An Axe-fx would do everything I need and on top of that sound really good, but I cannot afford one yet. It's pretty high on my GAS list though. Plus, I'd like to hone my micing skills, which is why a traditional amp would be nice.

My first "real" amp after my horrible practice amp was a Peavey Classic 30. Honestly, I wouldn't want to get another, it was pretty meh. And I wouldn't want to record any heavier stuff with one either.

Damn, the Orange Dual Terror would be awesome, but they're not on sale yet, and apparently all of the first shipments have already been bought/reserved :erk: I had a TT some time ago and really liked it, and I'm familiar with the tone and how it records.

That's funny. One of my friends recently sold his Peavy JSX head and got a Classic 30 for smaller gigs.

I have a V30 speaker in my Classic 30 and it sounds pretty nice.

Ryan has one, and has recorded some sweet clips with it - and I loved my Tiny Terror, and it had plenty of gain (though definitely needed a TS to get tight enough for my tastes) so I doubt the Rocker would be any wimpier!

Heard Down at a festival two weeks ago and both Kirk and Pepper were playing Rockerverbs (as they did at Download). That sound was definitely borderline metal and less "loose" than I expected.

as money is usually a factor, have you tried line 6? not the spider stuff but the hd or vendetta series? i actually started using my hd tubetone head live over my mesa roadster!!!!! all the effects are built in and with the long board you can have volume and wah!!! i use my mesa recto cab and run the stereo inputs and the sound is amazing. people have been shocked that its solid state amp when they found out what i was using :)

so in summary
1 head
1 stereo 4x12 or 2x12
2 speaker cables
1 guitar cable
long floor board

INFINITE TONES!!!!!!

TIP:

CHECK CRAIGSLIST IN YOUR AREA DAILY WITH SPECIFIC SEARCHES AND YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT HOW CHEAP YOU COULD PUT THIS SETUP TOGETHER

THE COMBO VERSION CAN BE USED BUT NOT SURE HOW THEIR SPEAKERS SOUND :D

GOOD LUCK

What do you guys think of the Orange Rocker 30? If I find one used, it could fit my price range. I remember trying a combo version once and liking it, but that was a long time ago.

can you really get a Rocker 30 for that cheap in the UK? That seems a killer deal...