Which amp for a post-metal/sludge ?

Yes, it will be more than £700. But y'know what, I'm willing to spend more than that now.

Have you used the Sig:X? What makes you think it wouldn't do good sludgey tones? What would you reccomend?

What would people recommend with a budget of £1500 / $3000??

I'm going to save up and get the VHT Sig:X.

Haha, what?! Thats a bit like asking advice for which Telecaster to buy and then saying you are going for a Caparison. :lol:

I'm not sure you'll be able to coax Sludge tones out of that... and I'm 99% certain it'll be more than £700!

Hahaha, seriously - VHT's are notorious for being some of the tightest, driest amps out there - great for tech stuff, not so much for sloppy sludgy stuff. I heard a sig-x at NAMM and it was no exception to their reputation. The earlier recommendations (SUNN, Orange) are what I'd go for.

In reference to the Sunn Model T, isn't it just a clean channel amp?

It's a non-master volume amp, and will likely be clean at less than ear-bleed levels.

Since you're in the UK... old Marshalls, Orange, Matamp (pricey, though) and I've heard some really thick and nasty tones come out of a Vox AC30 with a Rat in front. The Big Muff is a classic sludge pedal as well.

VHT is pretty much the antithesis of sludge. I'm quite surprised Aaron Turner uses an Ultralead these days.

I have a Big muff. It's good, but not enough definition. I guess I shouldn't have said sludge.. many people are latching onto it. I'm more after an ISIS "Panopticon" sound (Think the first 30 seconds of So Did We) than say, Boris or SunnO))).

I would still like the capability for more doomier and sludgier stuff though.

At the moment, the only thing that interests me is the Orange Rockerverb. If I get the 50, I'd be able to drive the output tubes more than the 100.

The Rockeverb is heavenly. Not only for sludge, it's much more versatile than you'd think. Both the drive and clean channel are amazing.
If you wanna save a few bucks, the Rocker30 is loud enough to make your ears bleed.
The Thunderverb 50 is also very good and you get a build-in attenuator which might come handy.

One tip to get more definition with a Muff:
Reduce the gain a wee bit: Put a tube screamer like in front of it and crank the tone all the way up. :kickass:

Pickup choice is really important to get 'that' sound as well. Am I right in saying Aaron uses a Telecaster Custom? Low output pickups with Alnico II/III/IV magnets coupled with a modern high-gain amp would get you in the ISIS territory I think, hence Aaron's usage of the VHT. I've got fairly doom-esque tones out of my Fireball by using a Telecaster with a neck Single Coil before. I think that modern amps are probably more versatile than I give them credit for....

I have a Bareknuckle Nailbomb in the bridge setting of an Ibanez SA260FM. I've thought about getting a telecaster or a Les Paul, but that would probably be AFTER an amp purchase.

Am I right in saying Aaron uses a Telecaster Custom?

you're right on that one...i just went through some pics i took of them last november, and he was playing some sort of brown tele through his VST

i also made a thread a while back with close-up pics of their pedal boards, if anyone feels like digging it up

maybe...i know that stef from the deftones uses 1 of those, but i doubt that's the type of tone you're going for

i'm sure there's a myriad of other sounds that can be coaxed from it as well. all in all, i think that any decent high-gain amp can be made to do the sludge/doom sort of thing...it's what's going on before the amp, i think, that makes the biggest difference