Which amp for a post-metal/sludge ?

Amberience

Dec 9, 2007
Hey everyone!

Which amp head would go well with a Marshall JCM900 2x12 cab, for sludgey post-metal stuff - think ISIS/Tool/Pelican/Cult Of Luna

Ideally something with more than one channel, and high-gain. I don't really want to use pedals for my distortion sound, I'd like that to all come from the amp.

Oh yeah, my budget is quite open ended.. but not silly money. I'd spend a max of £700 - so about $1400. Bear in mind I'm in the UK, so things might be harder to get ahold of over here.

i know aaron from isis uses a VHT full-stack for his distorted tone, and a little fender 1x12 for the cleans...adam jones from tool uses a combo of marshall/mesa/diezel, but the older, dirtier sounding tones on opiate/undertow are all marshall

I'm more interested in Panopticon/In The Absence Of Truth type tones, not really going for Opiate or Undertow.

I'm thinking Marshall JVM.. any opinions?

Or should I just get a decent single channel amp, and some decent distortion pedals?

i don't think you'll find what you want in one amp.

my suggestion for cleans:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_hot_rod_deluxe.htm

recorded it several times, cool clean and crunch tones - big sound with a sm7 and a ribbon!!

for distorted maybe a 800 with greenbacks, this is my setup for rock/indie/post stuff and i really like it.

what's in your cab? g12t-75? - not my cup of tea for this kind of music.

best,

alex

what's in your cab? g12t-75? - not my cup of tea for this kind of music.

best,

alex

If that's the default speakers, then yes. I think that's whats in it.

I tried out an Orange Rockerverb 50 today. Was fantastic! Loved the reverb and the drive channel, and the clean channel too. In fact, there wasn't anything I didn't like about it. Except maybe the price, hehe. £999.. don't know if I can squeeze that much.

everything SUNN (model T, beta lead), most of the laney heads are amazing for this too. I saw a post-metal band that used the VHT pitbull some time ago and it sounded awesome.

everything SUNN (model T, beta lead), most of the laney heads are amazing for this too. I saw a post-metal band that used the VHT pitbull some time ago and it sounded awesome.

ISIS perhaps? ;)

I saw them at KOKO in London earlier last year, was great. I did notice the VHT amps also.

I'm giving serious thought to the Orange rockerverb. But keep the suggestions coming folks!

I'd prefer something that was easy to get ahold of - Sunn are rare as dog shit in a world without dogs.

I'm in the UK. A lot of the stuff being suggested is really hard to get ahold of over here. Matamp are pretty common though I think.

Electric Green amps. High on fire / Sleep use them

same band, really ?:p

i also saw high on fire just recently with Pelican(well i think it was recently.. was afew months back), and the high on fire guitarist was using a laney head.. think it was the GH100TI.. can't really remember, but it was a laney.

and the Pelican guitarist.. one used a Mesa dual rec, and the other used a JCM.

I've also seen this band with bossk and i'm pretty sure they were using a "Big Muff" as OD drive.. really did have dirty sound.

I'm going to save up and get the VHT Sig:X.

Haha, what?! Thats a bit like asking advice for which Telecaster to buy and then saying you are going for a Caparison. :lol:

I'm not sure you'll be able to coax Sludge tones out of that... and I'm 99% certain it'll be more than £700!