Post-Metal distortion

Dethroned De Deth

New Metal Member
Feb 6, 2010
Just got my self a nice 100w fender amp. So im now looking to buy some new pedals. What I'm really looking for is that low end distortion used in post metal i.e. Isis, Cult of Luna, and Agalloch. Anyone have any suggestions on a pedal or a setup?

Hmm.

For a big metal tone the best place to start is a high quality valve amplifier, designed for high gain. You will have great difficulty finding a pedal that will deliver big heavy metal tone. Maybe try some of the boss range like the mega distortion or the metalcore pedal?

What type of Fender is it? If it is a 5150III then ignore all of what I said and buy an Ibanez tubescreamer and be on your way to a life of win.

Hmm.

For a big metal tone the best place to start is a high quality valve amplifier, designed for high gain. You will have great difficulty finding a pedal that will deliver big heavy metal tone. Maybe try some of the boss range like the mega distortion or the metalcore pedal?

What type of Fender is it? If it is a 5150III then ignore all of what I said and buy an Ibanez tubescreamer and be on your way to a life of win.

end of thread

Yeah
you're fucked then.
The distortion on those things sounds like fucking ASS.

Just got my self a nice 100w fender amp.

The amp is a Fender Frontman 212R 100w.

...does not compute - but since I'm assuming funds are limited, I guess a distortion pedal would be your best bet, and drew_drummer would be the one to ask, but I'd say Krank Distortus Maximus or Metal Muff are the only ones worth even considering (I generally loathe distortion pedals though, can't come close to tube amp distortion)

Ditto on the Frontman, those sound like complete shit. I only play post-rock so I don't use any "stereotypical metal high gain" tones, but I've gotten along pretty well with my current dirt setup, which is a Fulltone OCD v4 clone (which the builder apparently modded a bit as well) and an EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker. My amp's usually set up for an almost clean tone with a bit of breakup on accents, which I can make completely clean by rolling back the volume a little bit. Though lately I've been borrowing a Classic 30 at rehearsals (sold my old amp setup and haven't gotten a new one yet) which I'm using on the clean channel all the time.

The amp is a Fender Frontman 212R 100w.

This sounds harsh but it is fact.

You're not going to get close to the type of sound you want with that thing, end of story.

If you get a pedal and think you're getting close to the sound you want, then you need to develop your ear A LOT more.

Hmm.

How is the metalcore a good pedal? How is the 5150III, an EVH amp, made by Fender? WTF?

How is the metalcore a good pedal? How is the 5150III, an EVH amp, made by Fender? WTF?

Umm, what?

Firstly...I have no idea what a good stand alone distortion pedal is. I heard somewhere that the metalcore ones are ok, but I think I made it clear in my first post that a valve amp with a tubescreamer is definitely the way to go for a huge metal tone.

The 5150III is a new EVH amp made be Fender. Eddie himself owns the '5150' license, so he can put that 'brand' on whatever he wants.

It is only a relatively new amp, having come out in the last few years, and it sounds amazing.

Umm, what?

Firstly...I have no idea what a good stand alone distortion pedal is. I heard somewhere that the metalcore ones are ok, but I think I made it clear in my first post that a valve amp with a tubescreamer is definitely the way to go for a huge metal tone.

The 5150III is a new EVH amp made be Fender. Eddie himself owns the '5150' license, so he can put that 'brand' on whatever he wants.

It is only a relatively new amp, having come out in the last few years, and it sounds amazing.
But if he had a 5150III he would have said EVH, but not Fender :s. I take back the "made by Fender", my bad.

Yeh well maybe he would have but I'm not entirely sure the threadstarter's knowledge of gear is as up to scratch as a lot of us here.

No offence intended. I was just trying to clarify.

For the record, if I had a 5150III and people asked me what kind of amp it was, I'd probably just say 'a fender'. :lol:

Vintage Traynor combo or head. Fender Hot Rod Deville are tits too.
Boost with some kind of boutique noise box.

For post-metal I think Russian Circles, Pelican & Long Distance Calling personally. I don't think 5150 really suits.

Long Distance Calling to me is more so "Heavy post rock" than post metal.
But yeah, I myself tend to follow the post metal scene a fair bit, and there are so many different kinds of tones.
Everything from Dual Rectifiers (Pelican), to VHT amps (Isis) et etc, anything with a good chunky preamp distortion really.
I'd sell that Fender personally and grab yourself a cheap tube head like a Bugera and then tweak to your heart's content.
The thing about a lot of post metal tones is that thundering low end really isn't the guitar tones anyway, it's really just bass guitar that's well played and blended well with the guitar tracks.
The most sludge based post metal bands obviously have a bit more lower mids happening, but again you still depend a lot on the bass guitar to get the full picture

If not a Peavey, Bugera 333XL on the used market, a decent cab that is at least a 2x12.
You actually don't always need a boost. The dude from Pelican that uses a Recto doesn't boost his AFAIK, which lends itself to a sludgier, dirtier sound.
But of course, if you have a Tube Screamer (TS-7, cheapest one) you get more options which isn't a bad thing

Passive pickups + Ebow + Boss RV3 :lol:

I think something with a more creamy mid range (5150, Marshall) will get you in line, but since it's usually B tuning or so the VHT suggestion would be killer! Look into the SigX, that's got a really wide pallet of tones in it and a spanky clean too.