Budget guitar head

Norris-wf

Sep 27, 2007
Durham, UK
Would anyone be able to recommend a nice tube amp head on a budget. I'm living here in Ireland so we don't have a great selection of second hand amps so my best bet is probably new. I have about 700 euros to spend on the head and I have the cab already. I'm upgrading from the Marshall AVT150 stack so I guess anything would sound better, so would anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,
Sean

With a bit of luck you might find a good Peavey 5150 on the used market for that amount of cash.
Other amps on the used market for about that amount of money:

Marshall JCM 800
Marshall JCM 900
Laney GH100-series
Ada MP-1 and halfgood tube poweramp.

cheers man, I actually found a JCM900 so thats looking the best at the moment, but how about the Valveking, the 'Bugera' or even the fireball new, worth staying away from?

FIREBALL BY FAR, compared to those others (Valveking is "eh," Bugeras sound good from what I've heard, but I would NOT want to rely on one, and JCM900, well, it's a Marshall, for better or for worse, and there's one particular variant that apparently sucks huge amounts of ass, possibly the Dual Reverb, though I don't remember). And if you're planning on using the AVT cab, well, start saving for a better one, cuz the cab makes a big difference (and I'd recommend searching for cab recommendations, there have been tons of threads about 'em)

what sorta sound you after, as i really wouldnt reccomend the JCM900 for anything more than rock stuff. i had mine for about 4 years, it was an ok sounding amp, but you couldnt get much from it, and it really lacked in gain and tone, even with a boost infront of the head. tbh, i hated it due to its lack of versitility. however the clean channel was amazing!! :)

Valveking gets my vote. I was using one the other week in my artsy post-metal style band (think: ISIS/Tool/Pelican/Cult of Luna/Oceansize) and it sounded fantastic!

+1 to the valveking. It doesn't get the most ballsiest gain in the world right out of the box but it sounds good and clear. Hook up a tubescreamer and your outta this world.

How about that Peavey Windsor, all the clips Daunt and Oz posted sounded really good, and the whole half stack package fits in budget, just a thought

I did play one at a Samash and was pretty impressed, though the fact that it's essentially a one-channel amp with a gain boost makes it pretty much useless for live use (unless you don't really use clean). Also, spending money on that cab would just be a waste, IMO; better to save for something better.

hey guys, this is a huge help, I'd be going for a heavy tight sound, think KSE, as i lay dying, even though I know I wont achieve that with these kind of amps its that kind of sound. so I guess the marshall wont cut it as you say Metaljonesy.
Metaltastic: the fireball would be nice if I could get one second hand here and thats what I'll be looking for, and you're dead right about the cab, I upgraded it to a 1960A which was much better, but still using the AVT150 head. I'll keep a lookout for a nice fireball as you said though and hopefully that'll work out, valveking is probably next on the list
Manicompression: I heard them clips of the windsor and they were unreal, but i wouldnt have anywhere near the experience to get such a good tone out of it, id prefer something a little higher gain.
Amberience/farbyondmetal, do ye have any clips of the valveking as most of the ones I find are gone since
cheers for all the advice

unfortunately not, I don't actually have a Valveking, it was just what the rehearsal rooms had at the time.

I have a fireball and it totaly ripps!!!! It should be perfect for metalcore, though I use it for thrash (my guitar sound doesn't sound like thrash more like gothenborg, but who cares anyway?). our album is made with a fireball, use the link in my signature.

I noticed that the fireball is only 60watts, would it get lost with a full band?

60 watts would straight up kill you....j/k but seriously it can get incredibly loud. Its tube. The difference between that an a 100 watter is only 2-3db (as a general rule). In a band situation you would cut through providing you keep those mids up and use V30's. The Fireball needs those mids!!!!

I've never played a Fireball personally, but I know that wattage has very little to do with volume; old 50 watt Marshalls could kill people, and my old 60 watt 5150 had no trouble running with a 150 watt Triple Rectifier. I wouldn't worry about it. :) And the 1960A is good, but something with Vintage 30s would be even better.

Thats perfect so guys, Thanks for all the advice. I'll start my hunt for a fireball now and if I can't find one i'll save up to get a new one. Ill get those V30's down the line some time. I've read a lot of praise on this forum for them
Cheers,
Sean

60 might not be enough if you're looking for lots and lots of clean headroom. Which being the sneap forum, I doubt you are!