liking Reaper

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
Well....I've been using Reaper Trial version for a few days now and I admit overall I like it better than Audition 2.0 I don't get any crackles like AA2.0 gave me! That's the main plus!!!!:kickass:

I just got a hand on where most stuff is at, I got the matrix pretty much figured out too now.

But I got a few questions for Reaper users.

1. I can't edit files, it says I need an External Editor!?! wtf?

2. Can I make my own buttons and/or GUI ( not just changing colors, I see how to do that in pref.)?? How to if so??

3. And I just feel that there must be some shortcuts to doing typical stuff.....any helpfull hints to noobs on Reaper??:err:

I think I figured out the editor.....I went to pref. and added Audition 2.0 as my editor and it opens Audition when I want to edit something.:Smug:

......Program is cool.....I just wish I could make some custom buttons and faders. They just are toooo small !!!!:mad: I tried like 30 theme packs but none seem to make buttons and sliders much bigger.:erk:

Personal opinions are great arn't they? Cubase SX reminds me of a wedding cake. But that doesn't mean I won't use it.

I love Reaper for the power contained in such a small package, but sometimes the flexibility of the signal routing is just a bit too much. I'm used to doing things a certain way using Cubase's bus routing system and Reaper makes this approach much more difficult. I could adjust my workflow in a pinch, but who likes to do that unless they have to?

i just got the trial of reaper yesterday and i really like it as well. i haven't figured out the routing matrix yet though.

matrix is pretty cool once you get a hang of it. But it also gets real hard to read once you get 20 or 30 tracks going. Needs to have different colors or alterating colors to make it a little easier to check the right button.:erk:

You can change the colors of the tracks - right click and it should be one of the options

Great software, great community. You can do your routing in the I/O dialog as well as the matrix, but yeah colours would help in the matrix. If your not using the Rea-alternative-to-rewire you can turn off all those extra destinations to simplify the matrix as well. Tips - right click everything, and save track templates once you get them sorted.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have just finished DL'ing it.
As for Logic Pro ... that is my main DAW. Let me know if I can help you with anything. I don't know a whole lot, but I got a couple of tricks up my sleeve! :)

Reaper is a great free program, but its MIDI editing leaves A LOT to be desired. It's pretty much impossible to write BACKMASK music in Reaper if you care about what time signature things are in or about tuplets...

Reaper is a great free program, but its MIDI editing leaves A LOT to be desired. It's pretty much impossible to write BACKMASK music in Reaper if you care about what time signature things are in or about tuplets...

Actually that has been much improved in the last few Reaper version. Only, the way the changes have been added are completely ridiculous. Instead of musical names, Justin chose to use mathematical terms.

In the midi edit view, you have the normal 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc. But in addition, there's 1/3, 1/5, etc. which on the first view don't tell much. But they're actually the n-tuplet settings. There's many people on the reaper forums asking for them to have a choice between musical and mathematical names. But anyways, they're there.

1/3 = dotted half-note
1/5 = dotted quarter note
1/10 = dotted eighth note
1/24 = dotted sixteenth note
1/48 = dotted 32nd note

1/6 = triplet quarter note
1/12 = triplet eighth note
1/20 = triplet sixteenth note

etc. I'm not sure if they're correct (it gets tricky on shorter durations), but the functionality is there. You can also write your own lengths like 1/22 or 1/39 if you fancy.

Anyways, I'm one of the guys asking for musical terms to be used :lol: