Sell me on Reaper

Hm... thanks for the help! It's just that I never realized how to do that because I can't find a way to select like a "cut" tool, I can't select part of the waveform and have it cut, it just selects the whole waveform. Gonna have to check the manuals

Hm... thanks for the help! It's just that I never realized how to do that because I can't find a way to select like a "cut" tool, I can't select part of the waveform and have it cut, it just selects the whole waveform. Gonna have to check the manuals
I usually just click and select the event, then click (or click/hold) the middle mouse button to set the edit cursor and hit the "s"plit key.

Thanks for the link to the books Saculus, I think I'll nab one/both!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Marcus, I only saw your video now! lol! Well actually, it's blocked here in work, so I'll have to wait until later to check it out.
Did you pick up those books in the end? They're absolutely amazing!
The only thing I want in Reaper is a Beat Detective killer - then I'll be happy! :D

I feel lazy to read all the thread, can anybody do a summary of pro and cons of each DAW or at leat a final conclusion about which DAW is better.

There is no 'better' DAW imo, each one does certain things better than others. Just try Reaper for yourself if you're too lazy to read the thread!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Marcus, I only saw your video now! lol! Well actually, it's blocked here in work, so I'll have to wait until later to check it out.
Did you pick up those books in the end? They're absolutely amazing!
The only thing I want in Reaper is a Beat Detective killer - then I'll be happy! :D

No worries dude - still haven't picked up the books yet, but they're on my "things to buy" list! :D

Here's my two cents about Reaper.

I found this app really promising. It has some really incredible features, most are really simple details but that can do a lot of difference. Some of the cool stuff that comes in my mind

- the well known routing matrix
- the ability to just move your insert fxs to one slot to another by just click-dragging (ok, I am a cubase/nuendo user since years and one thing that i hate about those apps is when you want to insert stuff between two fxs so you have to save presets, mount fxs again... ugh...)
- nice simple humanize options for midi editing (usefull for drums)

and overall lots of other small things that really are worth the money for now.

Btw, this is my gui arranged in a more "classic" way (I admit that the first negative thing you will face in Reaper is the default gui you have when you launch the app)

http://www.stillseasons.it/images/reaper.jpg (huge image) :)

But. I must admit I haven't switched to Reaper because of the most important thing it should do ok but I can't say it's 100% perfect: stability.

I spent some time customizing as much stuff as I could, get acquainted to new navigation system etc.. It looks all promising, then I loaded Revalver on a track... Playied 30 secs, BAM Reaper crashed... Uh... Well... Restarted, loaded another ampsim, some shredding BAM Reaper crashed again...

So I just decided to wait for Reaper 3 for a full switch.

On the other hand, I just prepared another system with Windows 7, so I'll give Reaper another try in a 64 bit environment with at least 6 gigs of ram, hope it works...

I've never had any issues with stability in Reaper, and I've been using it for a year now! Granted, I don't do anything too intensive, but all my songs have at least 8 simultaneous instances of TSS, some ampsim (formerly Wagner II, now 8505) and Boogex with nary a problem!

Yeah Reaper is the most stable DAW i ever used.

If it crashes so often on you then it must be something wrong with your hardware/os configuration.

Athlon 64 X2 5200+
3 GB RAM
E-MU 1212M
Win Xp

Just opened it up and DAMN what a great GUI change!! Was already used to the default 2.xx one but this one is much prettier, just have to get used to it!! And Automation is MUCH better now!! I was stressing out as some different automation parameters like volume, pan, etc clashed with each other! Now they get separate "tracks" pretty cool! Will improve workflow a LOT!!! I still haven't tried the new changes, as I can't do that yet, but it didn't do anything bad to my old projects, which were crucial, so it's rockin right now

I think the only wish I have for Reaper now is a thorough run to see what can be consolidated and made easier for the users. I find the text labels and various buttons to be all over the place and just pure inappropriate many times. A good clean sweep through the program and Reaper would rock my balls so fucking hard.

Anybody knows if they improved the way you should setup multi-channel Vst's?

One thing that really bugs me is when you have to do manual stuff to create midi tracks that uses single channel of a multi-instrument vst...