Line 6 DT, anyone tried it?

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Anyone tried this? Seems like a cool concept for an amp.

4 sounds, Fender, Vox, Marshall and Mesa. All analogue & valve. From what I can tell in this video the high gain tone seems pretty good (though it's just through a camera mic)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone tried this? Seems like a cool concept for an amp.

4 sounds, Fender, Vox, Marshall and Mesa. All analogue & valve. From what I can tell in this video the high gain tone seems pretty good (though it's just through a camera mic)

Hey man. I haven't tried it but it's $950 here new... def a cool concept but fuck man, that seems pretty expensive for Line 6... :bah:

Ive been reading up on these recently, from what i gather the preamp is digital and the poweramp is EL34 tubes. There are 12ax's of some sort in there but they are for the effects loop or something else, rectifier maybe...

I picked up the hd500 not too long back for tooling around here at home and maybe integrating into my actual rig and Im loving it. The concept of having an amp thats actually meant to be integrated with the unit fascinates me, plus as was pointed out it sounds pretty good without the pedal. Apparently it actually regulates certain parameters of the tube circuit depending on which model you have dialed in on the pedalboard. Most people that are trolling the line 6 forums love it, and it seems the folks that dont love it are the ones who cant wrap their heads around running the most recent software updates on the board and the head before syncing them up. If I pull the trigger on the amp in the next couple of months Ill be sure to resurrect this thread an post my impressions.

I tried one at Andertons and absolutely loved it. It's actually fully tube, as in tube preamp and tube poweramp sections, but obviously, there's some Line 6 wiazardry going on in there. The recto channel is meaty as fuck, and I loved the Fender and Vox channels as well. The Marshall (or Park, if you want to be pedantic) channel was pretty good too. Didn't get to try it with the HD500 but I'd imagine that could only enhance it. A great amp, and for whatever it goes for now (I think about £550?), it's a bargain. Was gassing for one so bad before I got my XT Pro rig.

Ive been reading up on these recently, from what i gather the preamp is digital and the poweramp is EL34 tubes. There are 12ax's of some sort in there but they are for the effects loop or something else, rectifier maybe...

It's actually relays switching analogue components in/out. It's digitally controlled but the only digital sound in the whole amp is the reverb.

(check out 2:20 in)

MIDI may be used to change channels, bypass the reverb and select each channel’s amp voicing, looks like this could be an awesome live rig!

Sweet video, enlightening. Yeah, Im pretty sure this is my next gear purchase. Sounds so rad. Ive got about a month to figure out if I should go with the 25 or 50 watt head.

It would have been nice to actually hear some more playing, not just a couple of random chords. Also, without Reverb. Switching modes/channels seems a little noisy. With only 2 12ax7's I am not sure how they will get enough Gain for the High-Gain Channel. Is there some modelling distortion/drive happening also maybe?

I am referring to the Line 6 Video later on, not the OP Video.

Don't get me wrong, I believe you that there is enough gain. I was just curious as to how they get it from just 2 12ax7 tubes. I was wondering if there was any additional digital gain in the chain. That was all. ;)

Seen quite a few videos with plenty of gain, too much to be honest. Would definitely be good to hear a proper video done by someone on here though

Yeah plenty of gain for sure, there are some decently recorded ones on the actual line 6 youtube channel but nothing thats really modern metal-ish. Also why do all the people who post videos of the line 6 gear always use wanky delay and reverb all over the disto tones or record with the volume so low that you also hear the guitar in the room. I would be embarrassed to post most of the crap thats up there.

Yeah there's so many guys out there doing really horrible video's

Too much reverb/delay
Too much gain
Camera mic's instead of a properly mic'd amp
Incessant wanky lead work instead of playing any chords/riffs
Wrong guitar for the style (trying to play metal on a strat/tele is a common one)

half of that was dt25, if not all of it, not sure.

I played the dt25 when I was round chappers's house last and it was fucking brilliant, well worth the money imo

I haven't tried it so this assumption is made based on that video Chappers posted. I like that all the different modes actually sound like different amps and are not just minor changes. However none of those modes sounded as good as the Dark Terror did to me at least. I don't get what Chappers meant by saying that the Dark Terror doesn't do a tight metal thing since that's what it's made for. :)

I get the feeling that this Line6 will be a jack of all trades, master of none.

I have the head, single 12 cab and pod hd 500..

amazing small rig that can pretty much do it all, the low volume mode is perfect for home jamming ( it knocks down the volume taper and uses modeled power section sims)..

The preamp section is totally digital line 6 ...

It also loves humbuckers, single coils, and all types of guitars..

there is also a new update that lets you load it up with all the hd preamp models instead of the original four in the amp ( new soldono model will probably be the sneap forum goto)..it's also really loud for such a litewieght amp.

connecting it to the hd is where it really shines, being able to route effects and use all the different pod preamps with different topologies gives you tons of options..

It also makes the pod easy to program for live use, bypass the full models ( they have just pre models) and cab models and it tweaks as easy as a "real " amp..

I have the head, single 12 cab and pod hd 500..

amazing small rig that can pretty much do it all, the low volume mode is perfect for home jamming ( it knocks down the volume taper and uses modeled power section sims)..

The preamp section is totally digital line 6 ...

Do you have the 25 or the 50 watter? If its the 25, What kind of volume are you getting out of it? Do you think it would be loud enough to be heard in band practice setting with a 4x12 cabinet (louder than drums, bass, another guitar)

Thanks for your insights.