line 6 gearbox...

ZPDRUMMER

MaN Of MaNy NamEZ
Oct 2, 2007
illinois
how do some of you guys get such a good sound out of your gearbox? do you plug in a tubescreamer before you go into the gearbox? i just need alittle help or advice on how to get such an amazing tone out of it?

If it's anything like the Podxt, which I'm pretty sure it is, and speaking from my experience with the Podxt pro, just tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak, test in a mix, tweak tweak tweak, remember its not a real amp, so don't treat the controls as such, forget what the controls are supposed to do on a real amp, tweak tweak, test in a mix, tweak tweak, try a tubescreamer, tweak, get frustrated at the fizz, tweak tweak, roll off some highs with the eq to get rid of some the fizz, tweak, realize it's not crisp anymore, and sounds muffled, bring some highs back in, tweak, pull some of your hair out, tweak, save the tone, take a break and do something totally unrelated to music, come back the next day and start over after realizing the tone you had is nowhere near what you wanted, tweak tweak, switch amp and cab models around, try to avoid diming any of the amp controls, test in a mix, tweak, and hopefully by this time you have something usable.

Or you could try searching for and downloading some of the user created tones posted in these forums and use them as a starting point. Most metal Podxt users seem to prefer the big bottom amp model with a variety of the 4X12 cab models, with either one of the sm57 mic models or the 421 model. Using the tubescreamer stompbox model is highly suggested, unless you have a real tubescreamer to run out in front, then you can use the EQ+boost stombox for further tone shaping. Not necessary, but helps.

The best tone I've yet achieved with the Pod, in my opinion, was by using the EQ+boost with the Engl Powerball amp model, with the Marshall 4x12 25 (I think its called) cab model, with the sm57 off axis. Tweak tweak.

Line6 hasn't done anything new to their modeling software since XT came out except for the X3 which is no more than allowing two amps and cabs going at the same time. Until they come out with a totally revamped and new technology, everything is like the XT :)

Line6 hasn't done anything new to their modeling software since XT came out except for the X3 which is no more than allowing two amps and cabs going at the same time. Until they come out with a totally revamped and new technology, everything is like the XT :)

If it ain’t broken don’t fix it :)

with modelling software no, but modelling products? Definately... Bogner + Line 6 = http://www.line6.com/spidervalve/

I just wish Line6 would have taken their software a little further than they did...everything they make is ALMOST usable but just blasts a digital papery sound in your face that i cant stand....it's like even if you get the best tone you possibly can out of it, it still sounds weak.

Have you tried using impulses? I'm pretty sure the worst impulse out is better than any of the line6 cabs so that may help ya out!

well, a lot better than guitar rig and amplitube haha

did revalver 3 came out at the same time than the pod xt?

Nah dude, the Podxt (and that modeling engine they still use today) came out in like '03-'04 - Revalver MkIII was released this past summer, and it shows!

I didn't say a single thing about anything else but their modeling software/technology and I am well aware of the products they offer. They haven't changed anything with their modeling technology (POD, GearBox, etc.) since XT. All they do is make a new face for it over and over again.

Agreed 100% Mike - however, one thing I will say for the Podxt is I still prefer the lead sound I get out of it over anything I've been able to get with Wagner and impulses...rhythm there's no contest though.