Line 6

Kazrog said:
Theoretically it should sound no different than the Pod XT. I fail to see the purpose of this product.

No more reamping! You could test several different tones on the fly on multiple tracks in seconds. This would be great. I always wish I could change the tone on some of my recordings but I'm just too lazy to sit there and reamp 4 guitar tracks. Having a plugin would totally eliminate this.

Kazrog said:
Theoretically it should sound no different than the Pod XT. I fail to see the purpose of this product.

I can see at least one advantage of having it in 100% software form - multiple instances ! :kickass:

And it is a great advantage...

unless you are new JC and can multiply your POD at will. :heh: ;)

Nwright - you're correct, partly, but that's the way distortion in general works. Compression will change the volume of a track to give a constant percieved volume; distortion will clip off the upper and lower ends of whatever's going into the distorting apparatus - it's like how there are two ways to keep a car at a fairly steady speed, one being cruise control and the other being killing the engine so no matter how you smash it the thing will be running at its top speed for that given gear. Cruise control will decelerate (reduce gain) down hills and accelerate (add gain) up hills and on long straightaways; with a car going at full throttle constantly (until it breaks) you'll get the same speed regardless of how far you push the pedal through the floor of the car. By clipping the signal, the distortion also leaves the top and bottom parts of the waveform as flat lines and there's an abrupt change in the shape of the line as you go between clipped and unclipped - this is what makes the square-wave like distortion sound so much different from a compressed 'clean' sound. There is no difference however between SS and tubes clipping and compressing - at the same 'kill' level they'll both clip, tubes just seem 'smoother' because they have different - and most often fewer - harmonics. I should add that as far as compressors go, on one side you have the tube amp players who say that when playing clean compressors 'kill the tube feel' and the solid state players love how a good compressor makes their amp's distortion more 'tube-like'. Go figure. Long story short, if you want to make SS more tube-like, compress and control harmonics differently and you're set.

The TS comment slays just about 3/4 of the tube puritan mentality that we'll find in people who hail tones without knowing how they got there. In some cases the TS clipping, also having a high-frequency damping capacitor in the clipping section (read the Technology of the Tube Screamer article at http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm ), will clip in a more tube-like way than tubes.

iekobrid said:
Great, now you've got me imagining a Rube Goldberg fucking machine... o_O

Mutant said:
...unless you are new JC and can multiply your POD at will.

While we're at it, might as well get you imagining a Rube Fucking Goldberg Fucking Pod Multiplying Machine and get them to send your straitjacket sent in Overnight Mail. Have fun!

Jeff