Looking to record some demos...which of these should I get?

amd123

Aug 18, 2009
My budget is 300 USD.
I can buy these:
Line 6 Pod XT Live (300 USD)
Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 (200 USD)
Steinberg CI2 (200 USD)

I'm looking to record my guitar and reamp using amp sims all within Ableton.
The Line 6 Pod XT Live has a USB output to record. The Pod Studio also has this option.

A salesman at Guitar Center told me the Steinberg CI2 has a DI Box for the guitar but I need to get monitors.

Is there anyway I can record without using monitors, I wanna use my regular computer speakers (I'm only a hobbyist looking to record some demos).

Man, you cant just save a hundy more and go for the Profire 610? Firewire luvz u.

bear_hug.jpg

This is assuming you live in the usa. In Australia you'd pay 10,000 dollars just to look at a piece of gear.

Man, you cant just save a hundy more and go for the Profire 610? Firewire luvz u.

bear_hug.jpg

This is assuming you live in the usa. In Australia you'd pay 10,000 dollars just to look at peice of gear.

I was looking into that, but I don't even have a fire wire port in my computer >_>

Oh yea, I also heard of people even using Behringer V-Amp to record demos?
How is the quality?

Oh yea, I also heard of people even using Behringer V-Amp to record demos?
How is the quality?

Really? I think there is someone on here that uses one, but I had one and despised it. For cleans it was nice, but the distortions from it were horrible! I never found a setting I liked, all cold as hell with no warmth.The PodXT is a much better demon, but still takes a bit of learning to get to grips with. You can get the XT very cheap these days on the used market, so I would recommend that 1000 times over the V-amp. Sure, the pro looks nice, but looks aint everything. You may hear someone say it's nice, but having used the to, I much prefer the XT
Never liked the V-amps tuner either

So the podXT can do I what I need (record a dry guitar signal into ableton and use amp sims with cab impulses)?

Oh, I misunderstood. If you are looking to JUST record guitar DI, then get a proper interface instead of the xt, the xt is handy for the built in amp sim, but if you want just DI, you might as well get an interface. there is also the Line6 UX thingies, but I dont know anything about them. the profire 610 and a fw card would be your best bet. I'm sure you can get a pci fw card for around £30 which is nothing. Unless you want the pod for its effects, it seems pointless getting it just as an interface

Oh, I misunderstood. If you are looking to JUST record guitar DI, then get a proper interface instead of the xt, the xt is handy for the built in amp sim, but if you want just DI, you might as well get an interface. there is also the Line6 UX thingies, but I dont know anything about them. the profire 610 and a fw card would be your best bet. I'm sure you can get a pci fw card for around £30 which is nothing. Unless you want the pod for its effects, it seems pointless getting it just as an interface

Actually the pod xt I found is 300 USD its the floor based one with the volume pedal so I'm interested in that.

I just wanted to know if it could do what I wanted to do with it :)

#1- Don't listen to a damn thing the brainheads at guitar center say unless it involves a discount.

#2- Save some cash for a FireWire unit (like another $100) and another $50, give or take, for a FireWire pci card. Don't sell yourself short if you are expecting any good results. I've come to learn that one should decide upon a budget, like you have...and plan for another 1/3rd or more on top of that.

Luke Jager was using a v-amp for the first Sleep Terror album...if ya like the sound he had on that at all.