Line 6 Helix tone tests

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
After some hard work I've completed a comparison between the Line 6 Helix's stock cab and some of my favorite IRs (all using the same Mesa OS cab and 57/421 mic combination). I used the trusty old "Rose of Sharon" DIs/backtrack . I tried to make this as scientific as possible. Everything is exactly the same except the cab. I of course would have used different settings to get the best sound under normal conditions when using the different IR choices but that wouldn't be helpful for this test. Hope this is helpful. I plan on doing a comparison between the Helix and Pod HD500 next as well as doing this same test but with different amps/cabs.

[SC][/SC]

Cool comparison, interestingly enough I prefered the TMS IR (last one) the most, the OH IR's were also pretty cool. The worst sounding one from all of them to me was the stock Mesa IR, didn't really like the Rosen Digital IR as it sounds way too scooped here, the 5150 stock IR's weren't really bad but nothing too great either.

Thanks for listening. I'm going to do another comparison but with another amp/cab at some point. I'll also have to do a comparison between the Helix and Pod HD and also TSE X50 and Thermionik.