Line 6 POD/PODfarm advice needed!

TomDeGrazia

New Metal Member
Aug 16, 2009
Poughkeepsie, Ny
www.myspace.com
I'm new to the whole POD epidemic. I was wondering if someone could clarify what the differences are between the hardware and PODfarm. Also what are impulses? Do you use both the PODxt rack piece AND POD farm? Any advice is appreciated!

If you own an X3, PODfarm is free to download and use. If you've got an XT, you gotta pay for it IIRC.
The POD acts as a dongle, so yes you have to use both at the same time.
For impulses, just search around the forum and you'll find out about them. There is a whole FAQ dedicated to them, as well as a thread with a list of them to download.

HOWEVER, just to whet your appetite, they are a way of capturing the "sound character" of whatever you sample, whether it be reverb, a piece of corksniffer outboard gear, or a guitar power amp going into a cab into a microphone into an interface ;) Read here for more!

And IMO the Pod has been sorely outclassed by freeware ampsims like Nick Crow's 7170 + 8505 and LePou's SoloC (and maybe all that AcmeBarGig stuff too, though I haven't tried it) - one of those into an impulse = boner, but I'm no expert on this, so for specifics I'm gonna bow out and let someone else take the reigns (and guys, remember, if you write a good post now, if someone else ever asks again, you can just link them here! ;))

I have used amp sims and impulses for awhile now, with good results and i just bought a X3 Pro with pod farm a few weeks ago, and i gotta say i wish i would have done it sooner. When you think about all the advantages of having the hardware device over the vst plugs, for example the CPU/Latency issues with running vst's and the limmited options, it becomes clear the POD has the advantage IMHO